Sign in with
Your question

Overheating in AMD X2 5200+ 2.7 GHz

Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2010 5:48:31 AM

Hello,
When i try to monitor the CPU tempetatures of my AMD X2 5200+ 2.7GHz, the software is telling that the temp3 is 90C. After intensive use it increases to 100+!!. Temp 1 & 2 are normal though.
Is this ok? What are the three different temperatures?

I used SpeedFan to monitor the temperatures.

Please let me know what you guys think
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 8:32:00 AM

The X2 5200 is only a dual-core CPU, so there can't be a third CPU temp. As greghome suggested, try CPUID HWMonitor, and make sure the readings are in deg C.
m
l
August 16, 2010 9:22:25 AM

Try checking in your system BIOS or using the software that was bundled with your motherboard.

SpeedFan might not be reporting the correct values.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 2:00:42 PM

You would have a blue screen long before your temps hit 80c if those temps are correct.
m
l
August 22, 2010 5:42:08 AM

Thank you guys! I installed HWmonitor and all set. Max temp is 60 for CPU and 64 for GPU.
Sorry for the late reply.
m
l
August 22, 2010 6:59:43 PM

It's good to hear it was just an error on the application.

Now, for keeping your temperatures down, U may try the monitoring application from your MB software disc. I've got an Asus M2N68 AM Plus, and it came with Cool & Quiet, and PC Probe II.

Course I've not used any of my taxing design applications, but I've been working on a lot of stuff at the same time, no lockups/overheating at all: it drops the clock speed down in just a few moments if I stop going on and it's usually running on the sub 35's Celsius. So C&Q should help you to keep it power efficient and therefore on the lower temperatures whenever possible.
m
l
August 31, 2010 6:53:24 AM

I use the default thermal compound which has been there for 2 yrs!!
I will try to buy a good one like coolermaster next month and see the difference.
Both GPU and CPU are coming to 65+ in extreme use. My place is a very hot place, so I am not sure whether I can expect this.
Normal temp are around 55 degree C.
m
l
!