Change from Domain to workgroup. User settings/programs do..

February 21, 2005 10:27:18 AM

Win XP

When I change from a domain to a workgroup, so that I can work on my home
network, the user settings don't follow. For instance outlook is empty and
the software isn't there to dock my PDA. Any help on how to get the same
settings on domain and workgroup will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Les
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:48:25 AM

Les wrote:
> Win XP
>
> When I change from a domain to a workgroup, so that I can work on my home
> network, the user settings don't follow. For instance outlook is empty and
> the software isn't there to dock my PDA. Any help on how to get the same
> settings on domain and workgroup will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks...Les

You can't, doing it your way. By changing the computer from the domain
to a workgroup, you have destroyed the trust between the domain and the
machine. In doing so, you have also rendered any domain login
credentials as invalid.

Naturally, any local account you then create won't have access to the
data files belonging to a domain account.

Why not simply login using your cached domain credentials? (After
repairing the damaged domain trust issue, of course. You need to be
physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to have
administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer). )

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
February 22, 2005 11:51:05 AM

Bruce;
Thanks for the info on getting back onto the Domain. But how do I get signed
on to my home workgroup with all of the settings that I use at the office.
Regards...Les

"Les" wrote:

> Win XP
>
> When I change from a domain to a workgroup, so that I can work on my home
> network, the user settings don't follow. For instance outlook is empty and
> the software isn't there to dock my PDA. Any help on how to get the same
> settings on domain and workgroup will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks...Les
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:18:02 PM

Les wrote:
> Bruce;
> Thanks for the info on getting back onto the Domain. But how do I get signed
> on to my home workgroup with all of the settings that I use at the office.
> Regards...Les

It depends on what you're trying to do, and what resources on the home
network you want/need to access. There's no need to disjoin the
computer from the domain, just to access shared workgroup resources. In
essence, all you need to do is create a user account on the home
computer(s) that uses the same username and password as your normal
domain account, and then grant that account permissions to access the
desired shares.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: