Change from Domain to workgroup. User settings/programs do..

Win XP

When I change from a domain to a workgroup, so that I can work on my home
network, the user settings don't follow. For instance outlook is empty and
the software isn't there to dock my PDA. Any help on how to get the same
settings on domain and workgroup will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Les
3 answers Last reply
More about change domain workgroup user settings programs

    Les wrote:
    > Win XP
    >
    > When I change from a domain to a workgroup, so that I can work on my home
    > network, the user settings don't follow. For instance outlook is empty and
    > the software isn't there to dock my PDA. Any help on how to get the same
    > settings on domain and workgroup will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks...Les

    You can't, doing it your way. By changing the computer from the domain
    to a workgroup, you have destroyed the trust between the domain and the
    machine. In doing so, you have also rendered any domain login
    credentials as invalid.

    Naturally, any local account you then create won't have access to the
    data files belonging to a domain account.

    Why not simply login using your cached domain credentials? (After
    repairing the damaged domain trust issue, of course. You need to be
    physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
    administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to have
    administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
    back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
    domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer). )

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce;
    Thanks for the info on getting back onto the Domain. But how do I get signed
    on to my home workgroup with all of the settings that I use at the office.
    Regards...Les

    Les wrote:
    > Bruce;
    > Thanks for the info on getting back onto the Domain. But how do I get signed
    > on to my home workgroup with all of the settings that I use at the office.
    > Regards...Les

    It depends on what you're trying to do, and what resources on the home
    network you want/need to access. There's no need to disjoin the
    computer from the domain, just to access shared workgroup resources. In
    essence, all you need to do is create a user account on the home
    computer(s) that uses the same username and password as your normal
    domain account, and then grant that account permissions to access the
    desired shares.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Configuration Domain Microsoft Windows XP