Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the advantages of SATA hotplug?

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2012 11:04:43 AM

Hello!
I read on the internet that SATA hotplug is a feature that allows you to attach and remove a SATA drive the same way you do with USB sticks. But my question is, is there any other advantage? I saw some time ago something on the MSI website (I have an MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) motherboard) that it's recommended to activate SATA hotplug but I can't remember why. Now that advice is gone, and I also can't find the answer for my question.

Thank you :) 

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 9, 2012 11:37:23 AM

Its not really an advantage unless you need the feature. Typically one don't swich SATA drive on a daily basis. On the other hand there is no disadvantage in leaving it on.
a c 354 G Storage
August 9, 2012 11:40:12 AM

This is more important in a server environment where you don't want to disconnect a bunch of users just to swap out a storage or backup drive (or failed drive).
Related resources
August 9, 2012 11:47:33 AM

Hmm I see, then I really have no idea why MSI recommended activating it.

And there is a disadvantage, the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon appears all the time in the taskbar. Hehe joke. :D 
a c 354 G Storage
August 9, 2012 11:53:43 AM

Hide the safely remove icon if you don't like seeing it. Also, it won't let you eject/remove an active drive, especially the OS drive.
August 9, 2012 11:58:54 AM

That was a joke anyway but thanks for the advice :)  I know I can't remove it, I was curious and tried it lol. Thank you all for the help!
August 9, 2012 12:00:27 PM

Best answer selected by doom_laur.
!