Solved

What are the advantages of SATA hotplug?

Hello!
I read on the internet that SATA hotplug is a feature that allows you to attach and remove a SATA drive the same way you do with USB sticks. But my question is, is there any other advantage? I saw some time ago something on the MSI website (I have an MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) motherboard) that it's recommended to activate SATA hotplug but I can't remember why. Now that advice is gone, and I also can't find the answer for my question.

Thank you :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what advantages sata hotplug
  1. Best answer
    Its not really an advantage unless you need the feature. Typically one don't swich SATA drive on a daily basis. On the other hand there is no disadvantage in leaving it on.
  2. This is more important in a server environment where you don't want to disconnect a bunch of users just to swap out a storage or backup drive (or failed drive).
  3. Hmm I see, then I really have no idea why MSI recommended activating it.

And there is a disadvantage, the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon appears all the time in the taskbar. Hehe joke. :D
  4. Hide the safely remove icon if you don't like seeing it. Also, it won't let you eject/remove an active drive, especially the OS drive.
  5. That was a joke anyway but thanks for the advice :) I know I can't remove it, I was curious and tried it lol. Thank you all for the help!
  6. Best answer selected by doom_laur.
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Internet Storage MSI-Microstar