I just finished building my new computer, the specification are
Quote:
ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-860 LGA 1156
Kingston KVR1333D3n9k2/2G
BFG Geforce 9800 GT PCI-E 512 MB
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200 160 GB SATA HD

Here's my dilemma, at first I thought it was faulty video card so I went back to exchange it for a new one, still nothing appears on my monitor. Then I moved the RAM to different channels and reset the memory through the jumper to see if it was the problem, still nothing. I really do not know how to approach this. My keyboard lights up for a second, but whenever i hit the cap lock or num lock button, nothing lights up.

Does this mean i'm not getting enough power from PSU? Everything is running, the fan on my video card, the disk on the HD, and the fan on my CPU cooler.

More about : question

June 17, 2010 2:18:22 AM

really, your 500W Psu shouldn't be causing a problem.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 6:45:12 PM

rolf, it's a CoolerMaster PSU. CM PSU's are about two small steps above junk.

kiet, work through all the steps in the sticky that niklas posted.

Then you can sort of test the PSU.

Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, borrow a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.
m
l
!