DDR3 or DDR2 for gaming?

Paintrain84

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
It's been a while since i have checked RAM out, it used to be (or so i thought) that DDR2 was better for gaming.

Any thoughts guys? I would like some detailed answers if possible. Thanks!

Solution

What are your system's specs ?
If you already have a decent system with DDR2 memory,then there is no need to upgrade to DDR3 because the performance difference isn't noticeable in daily tasks/games

Why are you asking? You have to use the one that your motherboard supports, it's not like you get to choose.

Paintrain84

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Because i may just overclock my system and get a new GPU instead of getting a new mobo, cpu and gpu to save money. If DDR2 isn't a lot different than DDR3 then it wouldn't matter much to me.

Paintrain84

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

No im not talking about VRAM, im talking about just performance between DDR2 and 3. I see now that 3 is better now where as it didnt used to be apparently. I know GDDR5 is the best right now.

What are your system's specs ?
If you already have a decent system with DDR2 memory,then there is no need to upgrade to DDR3 because the performance difference isn't noticeable in daily tasks/games

Solution

DDR3 didn't used to be better than DDR2, but now it is? LOL Not sure where your getting your information but like the other guy said, if you already have DDR2, there is no point in upgrading so you can have DDR3.