Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Wont Recognize Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2012 2:31:29 PM

I recently finished my first build, and it includes a 64 GB boot drive. I have installed everything that I want on to that SSD already, but now that it is almost full, I realize that my 500GB Hitachi storage Hard Drive isn't recognized as a disk. It shows up on the desktop as a shortcut, but the disk does not show up in Start->Computer at all! When installing programs, "Browse..." doesn't even find it!!

I can not put any information on it and it is connected correctly. What should I do!?!?!?!
a c 354 G Storage
August 9, 2012 2:33:54 PM

If this is a new drive, you need to go into disk management and initialize the drive (format and aasign a drive letter) before it will show up under "computer.".
August 9, 2012 2:38:34 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
If this is a new drive, you need to go into disk management and initialize the drive (format and aasign a drive letter) before it will show up under "computer.".

Thanks for the quick response, but in Disk Managment, It only shows up on that bottom menu, not in the list towards the top. So when I right click, format... is not an option.

Any solutions?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 354 G Storage
August 9, 2012 2:40:33 PM

Look for the "initialize" option. You may have to right-click the disk in the left pane.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/15/how-to-configure-a-new...
August 9, 2012 2:45:35 PM

Best answer selected by antrom1818.
!