Sign in with
Your question

Cant access other wireless devices on network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 1, 2010 2:28:47 AM

Hello,
I have one Mac book, one gaming console and one Windows 7 based pc. Up until a few days ago, my PC was running on a wired connection and I used a router in my room to hardwire both the PC and console into the same router. I could stream media from PC to console and my Macbook. Due to various reason, the Windows PC had to go wireless on the network and from the second it started using wireless, none of my devices can connect to it or vice versa. What exactly am I doing wrong here?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2010 12:43:40 PM

The Windows machine may have a fixed IP address (possibly because it was used previously with Windows Internet Connection Sharing). Make sure ICS is not enabled (see Windows Help).

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

m
l
June 8, 2010 12:59:26 PM

Quote:
The Windows machine may have a fixed IP address (possibly because it was used previously with Windows Internet Connection Sharing). Make sure ICS is not enabled (see Windows Help).

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

I remember having problems with ICS in the past, but it it already turned off and everything is set to automatic.

When the PC is hardwired into the router, other devices can acess it, but not when on wireless.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 8, 2010 1:25:47 PM

Try with firewall temporarily disabled on all computers.

Also try with wireless security disabled temporarily.
m
l
June 8, 2010 4:04:28 PM

Quote:
Try with firewall temporarily disabled on all computers.

Also try with wireless security disabled temporarily.

I still can't see any devices in the Network window.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 8, 2010 5:25:41 PM

Can you detect the router's wireless signal ? Can you then via wireless access the router's user setup screen login -- usually via your browser at 192.168.0.1, but check your router's manual or quick start leaflet.
m
l
June 10, 2010 2:04:53 AM

Quote:
Can you detect the router's wireless signal ? Can you then via wireless access the router's user setup screen login -- usually via your browser at 192.168.0.1, but check your router's manual or quick start leaflet.

Everything seems fine there, and I have included an overview of how the situation looks

m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2010 6:54:18 AM

I'm going to have to play catch up on operating systems as Win 7 seems to have evolved the way it displays wireless devices compared to XP. I guess you are able to detect the router from the PC.

One thing strikes me -- which is that the PC is in a DMZ. I guess you have a reason for this, but I haven't ever felt the need myself. Could this be the issue ?
m
l
June 11, 2010 9:09:09 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to play catch up on operating systems as Win 7 seems to have evolved the way it displays wireless devices compared to XP. I guess you are able to detect the router from the PC.

One thing strikes me -- which is that the PC is in a DMZ. I guess you have a reason for this, but I haven't ever felt the need myself. Could this be the issue ?

I used DMZ to try and solve the issue, but no luck. I simply left it on. This can't be the problem because it persisted before DMZ was used.
m
l
!