HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello
I have Windows Xp home edition
My problem is that my pc switches off without being asked to but not completely. I hear a tick sound.
And the monitor goes off while I am working on the pc.(so no screensaver) The lights are still on. But it could just as well be off.
Then I am forced to switch it off at the plug.
I used a compressor to clean it inside and hoped it worked But unfortunately it didn't. I even reinstalled windows, but that still did not work.
Is there any one that can help me.

What are the specs of your machine? Please dont post DXDiag, it doesnt tell me much. Im looking for CPU, motherboard, power supply etc.

What are you doing when it shuts off? Is it reproducible, like you start up modern warfare and it shuts off, or is it seemingly random?

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

That sounds like an overheating issue. Check the temps. Could also be a PSU/mobo issue.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Hello
I had speed fan installed
But it did not show overheating
Please explain the PSU/mobo issue
I am learning as I go along Please

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Hello
Can my dvd drive cause such a issue as I have trouble with it?
It does not open without a HUGE struggle.
Please explain swap out power supply

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Swap out means to try a different power supply. This is done by setting one out side of the case and plugging it in without actually removing the old one.
Yes, it could be the DVD shorting out as well. First unplug the power connector on the DVD (yellow and red wires on outside rear) And see if it still happens.
When you say the PC switches off, all fans stop.? or just the monitor shuts down?
To put it simply the power supply does just that supplys power and the motherboard controls uses the power. so if you have a power problem it usually one or the other.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Hello
Is there a way I can check it. As I don't know a lot of it myself.
Sometimes I start it up, and then not even 2 minutes on it shuts off and sometimes I can be on the pc the whole day and not have a problem..
But yes I would say it happens randomly. With different applications, once while reading e-mails, another time was while I was playing a game(small game, BigFishGames) and another occasion I was Using Corel Draw.
The pc lights will still be on (red and green) and the screen goes off(litterally off ,like when it shuts down). no matter what I do the pc does not respond and I am forced to switch off the plug. About 1 -2 years ago I had a similar issue, but cleaning out the dust helped and the problem stopped, or so I thought, until now.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Only the monitor shuts down
The CPU still works
I will hear the fans work But my screen shuts off
I hear a sound and then my screen does not work anymore.
The only way it works is when the pc starts up again.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Video card
Would it be in the CPU or the monitor.
I know it probaply does not sound too intelligent,
but it is better too ask than too wonder.
Although it is not the original monitor.
Maybe, just maybe I must put the original monitor back.
See what happens then.