Sign in with
Your question

Network Drive Mapping

Last response: in Networking
March 9, 2010 11:23:52 AM

Hey

I have a network set up running around 10 client machines and 1 server acting as domin. I want to add a second server and make it a file server.

The second server's only purpose is to Store files.

When i Map a network drive on the second server it doesnt appear on the other machines.

Some advice would be great

Thanks!

More about : network drive mapping

March 9, 2010 12:00:30 PM

If the second server is the file server why would you be mapping a network drive on it? If it is the file server it should have local drives/SAN that other systems map to.

You will need to map these drives from the workstations individually or make scripts to map on login/startup.
March 9, 2010 1:10:37 PM

ah i get what you mean

thanks alot :) 
March 9, 2010 1:20:04 PM

"When i Map a network drive on the second server it doesnt appear on the other machines."

Hmm, did you perhaps mean SHARE rather than MAP? The one serving the files is sharing, the one wanting to obtain access to those shares MAPS a local drive letter (D:, E:, etc.) to that share.

If you literally meant “map”, you can’t share a drive on machine “A” that machine “A” mapped from machine “B”. It’s a security issue. Otherwise, you would be passing on access authorization to others without machine “A”’s permission.

!