RAID0 from existing data drive

CopyPaste

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hello,

I currently have a 2TB data drive. I bought a second one of a different brand, but the same size (2TB) about a year later since I am starting to get nervous it will fail. How can I set these up as RAID0 without losing my data. My OS is on a separate drive (SSD). It currently has 1.4TB of it full, I just want it to always be backed up.

Thanks,
Brian

Solution
Hiya Brian. You want to setup a RAID-1 (mirror) array. RAID-0 is NOT what you want.

There are numerous methods for achieving what you want, but first, what motherboard do you have? Not all motherboards have RAID built-in, but if yours does, then it is the easiest way to go. Also, when you installed your SSD did you set the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI or is it still IDE?

larkspur

Distinguished
Hiya Brian. You want to setup a RAID-1 (mirror) array. RAID-0 is NOT what you want.

There are numerous methods for achieving what you want, but first, what motherboard do you have? Not all motherboards have RAID built-in, but if yours does, then it is the easiest way to go. Also, when you installed your SSD did you set the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI or is it still IDE?

Solution

CopyPaste

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

I did figure that out that I said RAID 0.

I have an ASRock Extreme 4 z77 Mobo. It does have raid (only on the sata 2 ports). HOwever, every time I enabled it, windows would fail to boot. I configured it exactly, listing my SSD as a nonraid drive, but it still fails to boot every time. Changing the drive modes back to AHCI mode fixes it every time. If I run windows startup repair when it is in RAID (off a DVD) it corrupts the MBR every time, and I have to change the mode back, and re-repair the MBR.

Eventually I gave up and just set it up in windows as Mirrored drive, but it really does frustrate me that I don't know the problem. :pfff: