Sign in with
Your question

Blinking cursor at boot

Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2010 3:56:28 PM

have an IMAC , Dell XPS, 3 other PCs. I've been using the dell and iMAC in my room for more than a month without any issues.
I want to explain myself thoroughly so please bear with me.
I was using the iMAC and my Dell XPS on the same power circuit until last week when my dell refused to boot up. The lights turn on. The fans and hard drive are working but all i get is a blinking cursor on the monitor. No beeps, does not even go to the bios!! I put in a new battery, flashed the bios by taking out the battery, Took out the graphics card, reseated everything, but no luck. I took out the hard drive from the dell and connected it to as an external hard drive to my iMAc and the hard drive works fine.

Luckily i had set up a backup computer, and connected that one, it booted up, after 5 mins suddenly shut down. I turned it on again and this time no blinking cursor, nothing shows up on the monitor. No beeps, but all hardware seems to be running ok.

I hooked up my 2 other PC's and and its the same thing, no beeps, nothing on the monitor, powers up just fine.
So thats 4 PC's that don't work anymore, and i know that they did work a month ago.

The dell and imac were working for more than a month and all of a sudden the dell died. The iMac is still working just fine.

I have a dell 20 inch monitor and i thought the monitor is causing the issue, so i hooked up the monitor to the iMac via the adapter and it shows up just fine as a second monitor.

THe power supply seems to be ok in my room where the computers are, cause the imac and all my other peripherals are working just fine.

Im in the process of buying a new PC but i'm afraid i may fry the new one too. Im trying to narrow down what exactly the issue may be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
-Modi

More about : blinking cursor boot

August 16, 2010 7:19:21 PM

Anyone? should i call an electrician to check out the power supply? my imac is connect to the same circuit and is working fine, also my TV and ps3 on a different plug in the same room is working fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 7:23:39 PM

Is it the power cord? did you use the same cord for all 4 PCs?
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 7:31:42 PM

yup, that could be it. could it have fried something? i switched power cord unfortunately after hooking up all 4 of them to the same power cord.
But the dell gives me a blinking cursor, and the the other 3 don't show anything on the monitor.
Could it be anything else?
m
l
August 17, 2010 5:00:40 AM

i checked the power cable and its actually working fine, so its not the power cable.
I would really like to narrow it down before i spend money on an electrician or buying a new computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 2:25:12 PM

pramod91 said:
have an IMAC , Dell XPS, 3 other PCs. I've been using the dell and iMAC in my room for more than a month without any issues.
I want to explain myself thoroughly so please bear with me.
I was using the iMAC and my Dell XPS on the same power circuit until last week when my dell refused to boot up. The lights turn on. The fans and hard drive are working but all i get is a blinking cursor on the monitor. No beeps, does not even go to the bios!! I put in a new battery, flashed the bios by taking out the battery, Took out the graphics card, reseated everything, but no luck. I took out the hard drive from the dell and connected it to as an external hard drive to my iMAc and the hard drive works fine.

Luckily i had set up a backup computer, and connected that one, it booted up, after 5 mins suddenly shut down. I turned it on again and this time no blinking cursor, nothing shows up on the monitor. No beeps, but all hardware seems to be running ok.

I hooked up my 2 other PC's and and its the same thing, no beeps, nothing on the monitor, powers up just fine.
So thats 4 PC's that don't work anymore, and i know that they did work a month ago.

The dell and imac were working for more than a month and all of a sudden the dell died. The iMac is still working just fine.

I have a dell 20 inch monitor and i thought the monitor is causing the issue, so i hooked up the monitor to the iMac via the adapter and it shows up just fine as a second monitor.

THe power supply seems to be ok in my room where the computers are, cause the imac and all my other peripherals are working just fine.

Im in the process of buying a new PC but i'm afraid i may fry the new one too. Im trying to narrow down what exactly the issue may be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
-Modi

It sounds like the BIOS is corrupted or the motherboard is bad. No beeps and no POST screen but with everything spinning up and getting a blinking cursor on the monitor suggests that the circuit, power cord, and PSU are okay, and the GPU and monitor are also okay. I'd also bet your CPU and RAM are fine too since those generally cause a lot of beeps if they are bad and the motherboard is fine.
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:41:45 PM

hey thanks for the reply. Im looking to figure out what may have caused it, honestly i dont care too much about the computers casue i managed to get the data off of them. Im more looking to find out why it happened so i can fix the source and buy a new one.
thanks
m
l
!