Sign in with
Your question

Best pc processor

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:41:15 PM

Hello,
i want 2 buy a new CPU.I want to know which processor is best for running CAD/CAE/Animation softwares?i hear intel i5 is good but not good if using outdated versions of softwares.please suggest which is best!!also want to know which is the best compatible ram and mother board.

More about : processor

a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:42:48 PM

What is your budget? I think the i7-930 is you best bet.
a c 203 à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:49:51 PM

Quote:
i hear intel i5 is good but not good if using outdated versions of softwares.
please suggest which is best!
Please explain further.
What software, and what operating system you will be using.
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:51:22 PM

unknown_13 said:
What is your budget? I think the i7-930 is you best bet.
If his software is a problem for an i5 it's also going to be a problem for an i7-930.
a c 83 à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:54:37 PM

I7 980X at approximately $1000 is the best desktop CPU, if you want more than that you'll need to go into a workstation/server set up with more than 1 cpu in it.

So unless you can afford this kind of a build, I suggest you tell us a budget, and give details on what software your using.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:57:29 PM

WR2 said:
If his software is a problem for an i5 it's also going to be a problem for an i7-930.

I was talking about the performance, not the software problem:D 
a c 159 à CPUs
August 16, 2010 5:03:21 PM

With the right budget, you can go with a dual cpu xeon 1366 board and ecc registered or regular ram, depending on the board. Newegg had an asus dual cpu board with 1 tb samsung drive for only $244 in it's weekend specials.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 5:04:14 PM

WR2 said:

I've noticed a trend (not that this is what unknown_13 was doing)...

Q: "What is the best gaming processor on a budget"?
A: "Corei7 930 is your best bet".

Q: "What is the best processor for audio work"?

Q: "What is the best processor to surf the web"?

Q: "What is the best processor to run MSN Messenger"?

Q: "What is the best processor for video encoding tasks"?
A: "Corei7 980x but Corei7 930 is your best bet".

etc etc.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 5:08:35 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
I've noticed a trend (that that this is what unknown_13 was doing)...

Q: "What is the best gaming processor on a budget"?

Q: "What is the best processor for audio work"?

Q: "What is the best processor to surf the web"?

Q: "What is the best processor to run MSN Messenger"?

Q: "What is the best processor for video encoding tasks"?
A: "Corei7 980x but Corei7 930 is your best bet".

etc etc.

LOL WTF :heink: 

Check some other threads before posting lies....
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 6:46:14 PM

unknown_13 said:
LOL WTF :heink: 

Check some other threads before posting lies....

There was a typo in my post. The double "that that" was meant to say "not that". My post was directed at the general recommendations I see on Tom's.

For AMD fans, they seem to recommend a Phenom II X6 no matter what the users usage is.
August 16, 2010 8:09:02 PM

khiladi, whats your budget? it all depends on your budget..
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 8:26:45 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
There was a typo in my post. The double "that that" was meant to say "not that". My post was directed at the general recommendations I see on Tom's.

For AMD fans, they seem to recommend a Phenom II X6 no matter what the users usage is.

i love recommending the i5-750... :whistle: 
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 8:45:04 PM

There are a lot of us who want to help :)  , but many questions are too general, and lack info on what the poster wants to do with his/her system. :( 

Then when we ask: "What do you want to do?"
No response. :??: 

Web-surfing, office apps, and email do not require the same investment as that needed to play DX10/11 games.

August 16, 2010 10:54:15 PM

jefe323 said:
i love recommending the i5-750... :whistle: 

Love to recommend X2 555 here :p 
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 11:23:57 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:

I been noticing that as well. :heink: 

I've only recommened the Phenom II x6 when there cad, video editing/converting, (or something else that benefits from 6 real core vs 4 cores/ 8 threads).

Games i normally mention the core i5 or the phenom ii x4 955 but anytime i mention the 955 i get people saying why not get the phenom ii x6 for like around 40 bucks more and have a cpu that more long term for gaming. My normal argument to that is, by the time games require 6 cores, they'll be asking for a better IPC cpu than the X6's can offer. ;)  Although they just go though it like i've never responded to there question :sarcastic: .
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 10:07:48 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:

Ahh OK man.....:D 

For gaming on tight budget i always recommend the Athlon II X3 445, for more performance the PII X4 945/955, or the i5-750/760. i7-930 only when either the budget is very high or the user needs a lot of performance. Phenom II X6 only if the user runs dozens of apps at a time, because for gaming the better choice is the PII X4 955, PII X6 is useless for gaming right now.
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 10:09:00 AM

warmon6 said:
I been noticing that as well. :heink: 

I've only recommened the Phenom II x6 when there cad, video editing/converting, (or something else that benefits from 6 real core vs 4 cores/ 8 threads).

Games i normally mention the core i5 or the phenom ii x4 955 but anytime i mention the 955 i get people saying why not get the phenom ii x6 for like around 40 bucks more and have a cpu that more long term for gaming. My normal argument to that is, by the time games require 6 cores, they'll be asking for a better IPC cpu than the X6's can offer. ;)  Although they just go though it like i've never responded to there question :sarcastic: .

+10000
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2010 9:41:49 PM

I'll add a reply, and maybe hi-jack this thread as I have the same question, but I'll provide more specifics... I built a desktop with a MSI P45 Platinum motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3.0 Ghz, 6MB Cache, 1333 MHz FSB Socket 775 processor and a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 graphics card. My co-worker wants a new machine and I'm thinking of giving him mine and building a new one.

We've just started incorporating 3D laser surveys into our CAD model designs. The laser survey records 50,000 spot shots per second and colorizes each shot with RBG data from the digital camera inside the survey equipment. Zooming, regen, panning, all take a while to regenerate the screen as there are hundreds of millions of spot shots in my CAD model.

Sooo, I was thinking of just getting one of the latest NVIDIA Quad Cards, maybe the Quadro FX 5800 or one of the newer higher line cards NVIDIA seems to be releasing soon...

Anyway, I don't necessarily know what impacts screen regeneration more, the graphics card or the processor... I don't have a specific budget in mind, probably at least $3K but no more than $7K...

Everything changes so fast, it was a year and a half ago I researched this and all of the terminology, sockets, compatibility seems different! Plus all of the web pages are geared towards gaming machines, and I will be using this strictly at work for CAD applications...

thanks,

mark.
!