Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive wont detected

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2012 6:21:52 PM

Hello,
My hard drive is not working fine. windows 7 is successfully installed but when i restart my PC error appear
"boot device failure" or " no boot device found"
please help me
a c 302 G Storage
August 10, 2012 5:05:05 PM

Do you have any other hard drives on your machine? My first, simplest guess is that you do and it is trying to boot off another drive. During boot-up, select the BIOS Boot Menu (usually F8) or go into the BIOS and make sure that it is booting from the right device?

Did you have another hard drive on your machine when Win7 was installed? If so, is it still attached or did you remove it? Win7 often installs its boot logic on a small partition on a different drive, not the one that you did the installation to.

If you are familiar with BIOS, is the boot drive seen?
m
l
August 17, 2012 5:40:02 PM

First of all thanks for your reply. sir with due respect non of these problems happened which you mention. sir this hard drive is working fine on another PC and i try to change the sata (data) cable but doesn't work and try to use another drive on that PC but it doesn't work either i think problem is in computer not in hard drive. waiting for your reply thanks again if any one want to help me via Skype than my id is mention below and sorry for my bad English :-(
Skype id : hafiz.adnan007
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 9:27:36 PM

I am having a similar issue with my Win XP system. I have a SATA drive (seagate) which is designated C: and contains my operating system. I also have a Maxtor IDE drive attached that I use for data drive. My system sudennly stopped opertaing this morning (mother-in-law was using it while I was away) while I was away, not that it's her fault. I inserted my seagate tools disket and it won't run because it isn't seeing either drive. Why would this suddenly happen and what can I do to resolve the issue?

WyomingKnott said:
Do you have any other hard drives on your machine? My first, simplest guess is that you do and it is trying to boot off another drive. During boot-up, select the BIOS Boot Menu (usually F8) or go into the BIOS and make sure that it is booting from the right device?

Did you have another hard drive on your machine when Win7 was installed? If so, is it still attached or did you remove it? Win7 often installs its boot logic on a small partition on a different drive, not the one that you did the installation to.

If you are familiar with BIOS, is the boot drive seen?

m
l
a c 139 G Storage
August 21, 2012 3:25:26 AM

mdershem said:
I am having a similar issue with my Win XP system. I have a SATA drive (seagate) which is designated C: and contains my operating system. I also have a Maxtor IDE drive attached that I use for data drive. My system sudennly stopped opertaing this morning (mother-in-law was using it while I was away) while I was away, not that it's her fault. I inserted my seagate tools disket and it won't run because it isn't seeing either drive. Why would this suddenly happen and what can I do to resolve the issue?

I just saw an issue similar to yours in another thread. It was suggested that the SATA and IDE power connections be tested and if that is not the issue it was suggested the memory be tested. This is the link to that thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288674-32-boot-error-...
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:48:34 PM

Dear all, i try my best to solve this issue like changing sata cable, change power supply, change hard drive and check the bios settings but problem remain same so i have to believe that problem is not in my hard drive but in mother board because same hard drive working fine in in another PC. so i am going change my board and if this work for me i will let you know.
Thanks & Regards
m
l
August 24, 2012 5:04:52 PM

adnan muneer said:
First of all thanks for your reply. sir with due respect non of these problems happened which you mention. sir this hard drive is working fine on another PC and i try to change the sata (data) cable but doesn't work and try to use another drive on that PC but it doesn't work either i think problem is in computer not in hard drive. waiting for your reply thanks again if any one want to help me via Skype than my id is mention below and sorry for my bad English :-(
Skype id : hafiz.adnan007

Actually I am running xp home. I had not made any changes at all to the system prior to the issue. came home and was greated by a crashed system. There are no other drives attached. operating system is on the SATA drive. is there any diagnostic programs that I can use to test the mainboard to make sure it's functioning correctly? Bios is no longer seeing either drive.
m
l
August 26, 2012 8:13:24 PM

Hello, As i said the problem is in main board the technician said he give the heat to my main board (some trick or Technic that i actually don't know ) and my problem is solved :-)
But don't know that it's permanent solution or just for some days. will update
m
l
!