A message about the 'deadly sands'....

....from the level author, Phillip Cambell, found on The Croft Times:

***********

At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over the
fence?

"No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers, and for a
few surprised newbies....That's why there is stuff out there....and the
'poisoned sand' is not 'poisoned sand' it's just that.....well, Lara has
gone so far out into the desert that the heat get's to her, and she drops
with exhaustion...."

"( Believe me, I agonized about this bit for ages - I wanted to give the
impression that the desert stretched for miles, and I knew that some
'cheeky' players would find their way out there....I would have hated to
just put walls there, although I knew about the fence bug - in fact I spent
a lot of time testing areas of TR2 for this very same fence bug, that's one
of the reasons why there are so few instances of 90 degree fence corners in
the game...)"

***********

And there was also this which fits with my finishing Atlantean Stronghold
*really* quickly!!!!

***********

Why is it possible to end the game too early by <edited for the sake of
otherwise spoileringness> ? Is this an expert player curve ball?

"Well.....At the time I designed this there was a web site called Tomb
Racer, in which people sent in finishing times for various levels - we knew
the persistent player could get into the hole, so we wanted to create some
SHOCK times for the racers amongst you! Doesn't make the level much fun, but
certainly gets you an amazing time!!!"

***********

--
Duncan
--

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> ...from the level author, Phillip Cambell, found on The Croft Times:
>
> ***********
>
> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over
> the fence?
>
> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers, and
> for a few surprised newbies....That's why there is stuff out
> there....and the 'poisoned sand' is not 'poisoned sand' it's just
> that.....well, Lara has gone so far out into the desert that the heat
> get's to her, and she drops with exhaustion...."
>
> "( Believe me, I agonized about this bit for ages - I wanted to give
> the impression that the desert stretched for miles, and I knew that
> some 'cheeky' players would find their way out there....I would have
> hated to just put walls there, although I knew about the fence bug -
> in fact I spent a lot of time testing areas of TR2 for this very same
> fence bug, that's one of the reasons why there are so few instances
> of 90 degree fence corners in the game...)"
>
> ***********
>
> And there was also this which fits with my finishing Atlantean
> Stronghold *really* quickly!!!!
>
> ***********
>
> Why is it possible to end the game too early by <edited for the sake
> of otherwise spoileringness> ? Is this an expert player curve ball?
>
> "Well.....At the time I designed this there was a web site called Tomb
> Racer, in which people sent in finishing times for various levels -
> we knew the persistent player could get into the hole, so we wanted
> to create some SHOCK times for the racers amongst you! Doesn't make
> the level much fun, but certainly gets you an amazing time!!!"
>
> ***********
>
> --
> Duncan

Oh cool! Thanks for all that Duncan! :) Looks like we all did good
then. TR hackers huh? Heh! I never did get into the 'racing' aspect
of the TR's, I'd lose miserably if I did :eek:P
McG.

> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over the
> fence?
> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers..."

Lara can get back there legitmately, by jumping around the exit to this
level. I made a video:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trubre.wmv

Thunderchief wrote:

> ...from the level author, Phillip Cambell, found on The Croft Times:
>
> ***********
>
> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over the
> fence?
>
> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers, and for a
> few surprised newbies....That's why there is stuff out there....and the
> 'poisoned sand' is not 'poisoned sand' it's just that.....well, Lara has
> gone so far out into the desert that the heat get's to her, and she drops
> with exhaustion...."

Well, that makes me feel a little better about not finding a "legal" way
back there.

I've never thought of them as "poisoned" sands, but that fits as well as
anything.

> "( Believe me, I agonized about this bit for ages - I wanted to give the
> impression that the desert stretched for miles, and I knew that some
> 'cheeky' players would find their way out there....I would have hated to
> just put walls there,

But that's what there is, a wall! From the size of the area, I never
guessed they were trying to make it like Lara simply died of thirst
or whatever. It seems to me it wouldn't be too tough to simply have
a given region repeat itself as you moved out--which would be much
more like dying in the desert. Perhaps they simply didn't have the
time to do that up right, since it probably wasn't considered to be
a significant part of the game.

> although I knew about the fence bug - in fact I spent
> a lot of time testing areas of TR2 for this very same fence bug, that's one
> of the reasons why there are so few instances of 90 degree fence corners in
> the game...)"

Ah, so it should work where ever there's a 90 degree fence corner.
OK. :)

-- G

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Thunderchief wrote:
>>
>> ...from the level author, Phillip Cambell, found on The Croft Times:
>>
>> ***********
>>
>> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over
>> the fence?
>>
>> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers,
>> and for a few surprised newbies....That's why there is stuff out
>> there....and the 'poisoned sand' is not 'poisoned sand' it's just
>> that.....well, Lara has gone so far out into the desert that the
>> heat get's to her, and she drops with exhaustion...."
>
> Well, that makes me feel a little better about not finding a "legal"
> way back there.

Yeah, me too! You *know* they were expecting people to go there, even
if it was not exactly a legitimate part of the level. I guess that's
stating the rather obvious :) But that's (IMHO) in keeping the Spirit
of the Easter Egg and Dopefish :eek:))))) It was just a "toy" for us :)
Fun toy too :)
McG.

"Jeff Reid" <jeffareid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over
>> the fence?
>> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers..."
>
> Lara can get back there legitmately, by jumping around the exit to
> this level. I made a video:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trubre.wmv

Ha! They left a 'normal' opening for everyone. Most of us just got to
the same place thru the fence. And you jumped Lara right onto that
little "oasis" too I think. Thanks Jeff, nice one!
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Thunderchief wrote:
> >>
> >> ...from the level author, Phillip Cambell, found on The Croft Times:
> >>
> >> ***********
> >>
> >> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over
> >> the fence?
> >>
> >> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers,
> >> and for a few surprised newbies....That's why there is stuff out
> >> there....and the 'poisoned sand' is not 'poisoned sand' it's just
> >> that.....well, Lara has gone so far out into the desert that the
> >> heat get's to her, and she drops with exhaustion...."
> >
> > Well, that makes me feel a little better about not finding a "legal"
> > way back there.
>
> Yeah, me too! You *know* they were expecting people to go there, even
> if it was not exactly a legitimate part of the level. I guess that's
> stating the rather obvious :) But that's (IMHO) in keeping the Spirit
> of the Easter Egg and Dopefish :eek:))))) It was just a "toy" for us :)
> Fun toy too :)
> McG.

I still think that was supposed to be a normal area, but at some
point the powers that be made them give up on it and rope it off. :)

There is one other thing... I have to applaud him for the "dying of
exhaustion" bit. I don't care much for the super hero aspect. It's
just that it didn't seem that's what was happening. It's too close
to the structure and we had only gone through one level at that point.

-- G

>> At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over the
>> fence?
>> "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers..."
>
> Lara can get back there legitmately, by jumping around the exit to this
> level. I made a video:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trubre.wmv

Wow! That was cool watching that! I guess it is rather fun watching someone
else play (I used to play while mate looked on-TR1 (PlayStation) - TR
Chronicles(PC))

Thank you for that!

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Well, that makes me feel a little better about not finding a "legal"
>>> way back there.
>>
>> Yeah, me too! You *know* they were expecting people to go there,
>> even if it was not exactly a legitimate part of the level. I guess
>> that's stating the rather obvious :) But that's (IMHO) in keeping
>> the Spirit of the Easter Egg and Dopefish :eek:))))) It was just a
>> "toy" for us :) Fun toy too :)
>> McG.
>
> I still think that was supposed to be a normal area, but at some
> point the powers that be made them give up on it and rope it off. :)
>
> There is one other thing... I have to applaud him for the "dying of
> exhaustion" bit. I don't care much for the super hero aspect. It's
> just that it didn't seem that's what was happening. It's too close
> to the structure and we had only gone through one level at that point.
>
> -- G

Huh... there's more? ;) That could have been turned into a trapped
maze out there. Or there could have been other things to deal with
before you could use the exit. Yeah, it could have been simply
truncated. Only the level author knows for sure :)
McG.

Jeff Reid wrote:

> > At the end of Return to Egypt, is there a legitimate way to get over the
> > fence?
> > "No - I thought it would be fun for all you Tomb Raider hackers..."
>
> Lara can get back there legitmately, by jumping around the exit to this
> level. I made a video:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trubre.wmv

Yeah, that's the physics-defying turn-in-mid-air thing.
It's a pretty long jump too, almost floating along. IMO
a jump like that is almost as bad as the fence bug. :)

Thanks for the video, it's a *lot* easier to see it done
than try to describe some of these things.

-- G