Wireless Desktop and Wired Xbox Media center issues

yantelope

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I've tried a lot of stuff to get my computer downstairs to connect to my xbox upstairs and stream media center recordings in HD. The router is one level up and about 15 feet lateral from my desktop. The xbox is wired directly to the router. I first tried a cheap trendnet wireless N router and desktop adapter which could connect but the video stuttered very badly. I then bought the D-link DIR-615 and the xtreme N desktop adapter. The video was better but still had stuttering issues. I thought perhaps a 5 ghz router might clear things up a bit so I bought the Netgear wndr3300. Aside from glowing like a UFO it connected fine but I couldn't stream any files or connect to media center at all. It appears there may be a firmware bug with it. I took all of it back to Fry's and bought a D-link dhp-302 powerline adapter. This worked for about 5 minutes and then media center just gave me an error saying it was disconnected. This morning the powerline adapters weren't working at all.

So basically. I'm thinking of giving the Linksys E3000 a go and hoping that will fix the stuttering problems I'm having with windows media center. Does anyone have a similar setup working?

yantelope

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Well, I gave the E3000 a shot and it appears to be working. Looks like if you're going to run Media Center over wireless with HD video don't cheap out on the router.

TRENDING THREADS