Sign in with
Your question

Reviewing FANS!

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 5:10:18 PM

ok so what if i were to review fans. what information would i need to get, how would i "test" them, and what tools would i need? would i just have to stick it in my computer, decide if its noisy, explain the specs, any (useless) features the fan has, and if it changed the temps...
so what info would people want to know about the fans?

More about : reviewing fans

a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 5:22:21 PM

What would I want to know about fans? CFM, noise, and especially, Static pressure.
August 16, 2010 5:26:24 PM

I really want to see two things in a good fan review:

Noise

Static pressure and airflow, ideally a pressure vs airflow graph. This cannot be from the spec sheet, since many fans spec sheets are, well, optimistic. It would have to be measured.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 5:27:48 PM

+1^ and power connectors (MOLEX, 3-pin, 4-pin), controller features (PWM or rheostat, and how well it works), size (80mm, 120mm, 140mm, 200mm), availability, and pricing (MSRP).

shovenose: Do you have too much time on your hands? :) 

edit: forgot to add the smiley face!
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 5:48:15 PM

yes yes i know there are much better things i could do with my time :) 

how do i measure cfm, pressure, etc.?
a c 85 ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 6:08:23 PM

Obviously CFM and noise are the big ones. When looking for a fan those are the two things I look at. (and size of course.) I'm not sure there is anything else that needs to be looked at. Color?

You'll need some sort of flow meter to measure air speed to see if it can output the CFM that they claim, and a way to measure the noise. Not sure about the flow meter. You can read the PSU reviews to see how they measure noise and start there. Remember that with noise you have the noise of the motor and the noise of the air. I say who cares, we want to know how loud the fan will be.
a b ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 6:38:41 PM

check it out: pcfr.weebly.com

is it ok :) ?
a c 85 ) Power supply
August 16, 2010 11:52:36 PM

Well thats a nice gauge, but not really what your looking for. I'm not sure 40CFM is low enough, and you need to set up some sort of tube or chamber for the air to flow through so you can measure the speed. Think of a wind tunnel if you've seen one of those.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 12:04:43 AM

4745454b said:
Obviously CFM and noise are the big ones. When looking for a fan those are the two things I look at. (and size of course.) I'm not sure there is anything else that needs to be looked at. Color?

Do you own a heatsink? Do you like non-fried components? If the answer is yes to those, then you want to REALLY worry about static pressure. A high CFM fan can suck ass on a heatsink if the static pressure is poor, look at the Scythe Slipstream 110 CFM fan (Albeit, they are great case fans). A fan with huge static pressure, like a San Ace fan, Noctua fan, or Scythe Gentle Typhoon will cool heatsinks very well. This also pertains to radiators.
!