Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2D Performance Issues w/ 5870 + Aero

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2010 6:25:39 PM

I just build a brand new system: core i7 930 (overclocked to 4.3ghz), Asus P6X58D-E, Intel 160gb ssd, 6gb ram, Sapphire 5870 - running Win 7 pro w/ dual monitors.

I get strange results in the Tom's 2D benchmark program AND a real world app that is one of my primary uses of the computer.

Here's my 2D benchmark results with aero on:

And with aero off:

That's pretty weird in itself, most people I've seen post these benchmarks have had considerable improvement with aero turned off...

My real world 2D issue is with an app that runs a bunch of different windows with some 2d animation in each of them (proprietary app for my company). When aero is turned ON this program lags when running at full force (16 windows open, 8 visible taking up most of my 2 monitors), but with aero turned off this program runs with no lag at all. This program ran just fine on these same monitors on my previous system (Pentium 4 3.0ghz + 6800gt running XP pro).

I figured the catalyst 10.4 drivers that were supposed to fix the 5xxx series 2d problems would fix this, but my benchmark results and the performance in my 2d app have remained unchanged (not 100% positive about the 2d aero off benchmarks, but I know the aero on benchmarks are the same). I've tried messing with the 2d clocks of my 5870 (locking them to 850/1200 for 2d & 3d, overclocking them both, etc), with no success.

Getting ready to buy a 470gtx or something to see if it fixes my problem unless someone has some ideas. I don't really care about the 2d benchmark results in themselves, but I need this app to run smoothly and I'd prefer to leave aero on all the time. My system should be way overkill for this, but for some reason it's not. Other people I know running this app on Win 7 w/ aero turned on have had no problems w/ much older (nvidia) hardware. 3d apps run great.

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

Best solution

May 11, 2010 2:20:12 AM

Be sure to completely erase the older ATI video drivers by using driver sweeper/cleaner (install driver sweeper, uninstall drivers normally, boot into safe mode, run driver sweeper, reboot normally, install 10.4a).
Related resources
May 11, 2010 6:33:04 AM

umm, out of the topic, where can i find that benchmark like yours? :) 
m
l
May 11, 2010 9:05:21 AM

Thanks Maz.. :) 

Edit: I've only got score 753 :p 
m
l
May 11, 2010 10:10:35 AM

You are welcome :) 
m
l
May 13, 2010 5:15:49 AM

Best answer selected by dd3mon.
m
l
May 13, 2010 5:17:17 AM

EXT64 said:
Be sure to completely erase the older ATI video drivers by using driver sweeper/cleaner (install driver sweeper, uninstall drivers normally, boot into safe mode, run driver sweeper, reboot normally, install 10.4a).

This actually appears to have worked! I'm not sure if there was some issue w/ leftover drivers that driver sweeper fixed, or 10.4a was what helped. Either way I'm happy.

Guess I'll experiment with newer drivers sometime in the future (being sure to use driver sweeper first), but for now I'm happy.

Thanks!
m
l
!