Encrypted HD, keyboard not responding in BIOS or elsewhere.

gabaz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
When I booted up my computer today and tried typing in the password for my encryption, the keyboard didnt seem to respond. I've tried three different keyboards (one PS/2) and all with the same result. I can get into BIOS with the USB ones but when im there I can't move between the options and none of the keyboards can type the password.
I've tried all my USB ports but to no avail, I also tried pressing the reset button on the motherboard but that did nothing.
Does anyone know what to do?

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Disconnect anything you don't need one by one. all usb devices, printers, scanners, cameras, etc...
Then disk drives, floppy drives, cd rom drives, memory, until just PSU and MoBo.
All I can think to do then would be to reset bios and hope for the best.
If you can't access it, or manipulate it, its useless.

gabaz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Upon further investigation it seems like my very old PS/2 keyboard is broken. Gonna borrow one from a friend and see if that works. Otherwise I'll try your tips, thanks!

gabaz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

Yeah, well it actually seems like there was nothing wrong with my old PS/2 as my friends one had the same problem.

Anyway, I've sort of solved it for the time beeing, I decrypted the HD using my old computer and I can now get into the OS on my new one. But the old problem still persists. I still can't do anything in BIOS, the keyboard, no matter what type I use just refuses to work during boot.
It's not a problem right now but it will probably be quite a hassle sometime in the fututre, which is why i'd like to try and solve it sooner rather than later.
Is there anything I can do?