Sign in with
Your question

Encrypted HD, keyboard not responding in BIOS or elsewhere.

Last response: in Components
August 16, 2010 6:07:12 PM

When I booted up my computer today and tried typing in the password for my encryption, the keyboard didnt seem to respond. I've tried three different keyboards (one PS/2) and all with the same result. I can get into BIOS with the USB ones but when im there I can't move between the options and none of the keyboards can type the password.
I've tried all my USB ports but to no avail, I also tried pressing the reset button on the motherboard but that did nothing.
Does anyone know what to do?
August 16, 2010 6:43:50 PM

Disconnect anything you don't need one by one. all usb devices, printers, scanners, cameras, etc...
Then disk drives, floppy drives, cd rom drives, memory, until just PSU and MoBo.
All I can think to do then would be to reset bios and hope for the best.
If you can't access it, or manipulate it, its useless.
August 16, 2010 6:56:04 PM

Upon further investigation it seems like my very old PS/2 keyboard is broken. Gonna borrow one from a friend and see if that works. Otherwise I'll try your tips, thanks!
Related resources
August 16, 2010 7:07:59 PM

Gee,
you said "I've tried three different keyboards (one PS/2) and all with the same result."
August 17, 2010 8:33:08 PM

mhelm1 said:
Gee,
you said "I've tried three different keyboards (one PS/2) and all with the same result."

Yeah, well it actually seems like there was nothing wrong with my old PS/2 as my friends one had the same problem.

Anyway, I've sort of solved it for the time beeing, I decrypted the HD using my old computer and I can now get into the OS on my new one. But the old problem still persists. I still can't do anything in BIOS, the keyboard, no matter what type I use just refuses to work during boot.
It's not a problem right now but it will probably be quite a hassle sometime in the fututre, which is why i'd like to try and solve it sooner rather than later.
Is there anything I can do?
!