Sign in with
Your question

Review my new build

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2010 7:40:51 AM
June 17, 2010 8:20:39 AM

A corsair 750tx power supply would be better.
June 17, 2010 8:37:33 AM

Tamz_msc said:
A corsair 750tx power supply would be better.

would you say $40 better? and why?
gotta get those combo breakers :p 
Related resources
June 17, 2010 8:43:15 AM

[1] First of all, the budget & the consequent build is absolute overkill if you game at just 1650X1080. You're wasting powerful resources at that resolution. It makes more sense to include a 1900X1200 display in your wish list.

$1300 to $1900 is too high a range. You could build a whole new pc within the difference in the limits.

Anyway,
[2] Drop the P6X58D & get the Gigabyte GA X58A UD3R, also get the XFX 5870. This combo works out to be abut $30 cheaper than the combo you listed. Also the Gigabyte is a great board.

XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

[3] Presumably, you are getting the SSD for OS, applications & games. The SSD is plenty fast for all that. In that case, you don't need the speed of Velociraptor for media storage/playback. Plus it comes with low storage capacity, which is a drawback.
Hence, a 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 will serve you well. It's fast (amongst the fastest high capacity drives), also great value for money.

[4] As I said before, a full HD display will go a long way in realising the full potential of your rig. There are a lot of good options like ASUS, Samsung Syncmaster, from $200 to $250.

[5] One more thing, if you are willing to go all the way upto $1900, you could probably squeeze in an HD 5970. You might have to ditch the monitor, or get a 2560X1650 display (but that would overshoot your budget). You'll have to work out the permutations & combinations.

June 17, 2010 9:17:05 AM

[1]Fixed. Unfortunately, my current monitor will only go to 1650 an I realize the overkill there; but for now its fine until I feel so compelled to get a new monitor; I just wanted to be ready ya'know? ^^

[2]Fixed

[3]What you said was helpful, but I foresee a lot of moving of files back and forth between the two and am comfortable with the premium that it entails...On second thought the seek time on that is only like 4ms more, and it gives me much anxiety to finally own storage of that size...FIXED!

[4]In the future definitely

[5] Unfortunately, at this time the price difference there is not really worth it for me, no matter how under budget I am. I am getting the one 5870 with the intention to add another much later. I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier but the people I will be gaming with will be playing games with much lower requirements; with that in mind I made what I thought to be a high performance box with much potential for upgrade later.

Thank you very much! You actually saved me money there, as well I'm sure a head ache or two ^^ enough under budget to swap that PSU...still hesitant but willing...
How say you?
June 17, 2010 9:27:02 AM

You pay 40$ more but you will not regret it because Corsair makes quality products and has good customer support service.
June 17, 2010 9:36:03 AM

Tamz_msc said:
You pay 40$ more but you will not regret it because Corsair makes quality products and has good customer support service.

true...$40 now is better than $100 later ^^ Fixed
June 17, 2010 3:37:40 PM

Looks good. Do configure the TRIM properly though. You could read the reviews for guidance.
!