Sign in with
Your question

Computer boots up but no display

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 10:53:25 AM

Hello.
I have been trying to figure out this stupid problem for the last 4 weeks but still no luck. I was just watching a film when my system crashed (it was dumping memory) and then it restarted and the computer booted up no problem but no display. I have read MANY topics on this forum about this but not much help. I have 2 different computers so i was able to see what components of the computer actually work and which don't.

And it came down to the PSU, GPU or MOBO. One (or more) of these is the problem. I've changed the PSU to another, and still the same problem. So far that's all i accomplished, i can't check the MOBO and GPU because I don't have another one of these.

But the wierd thing is that, i have a on-board video card on my MOBO and that doesn't work either. So i though that the MOBO was the problem too but my video card (Sapphire Ati Radeon 4850) has a problem of it's own. The red light which lights up when the temp is too high is on all the time when i turn the computer on.

So at this point i think it's either the GPU or the MOBO. Or both. BTW, i've been OC my processor. I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem but i've been overclocking for more than a month and never had any problems and suddenly this happens. Maybe the OC had an affect on the MOBO and the GPU. But i have no idea.

Anyone who knows anything about this please help.

Thanks.

More about : computer boots display

a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 5:06:01 PM

Have you verified that the monitor works with another computer? Also, can you remote desktop into the blank display system and see that it is actually working?

When you turn on the blank system, is it always blank (can't even see BIOS boot screen) or after it starts to load Windows?

Did you remove the 4850 and then try the on-board video? If so, and the system display was still blank, then in all likelihood your mobo is toast.

Will try to help with additional details.

Good luck!!!
June 17, 2010 5:16:55 PM

Since you said that you have onboard video, remove your 4850 and reset your cmos. This will reset your motherboard back to the factory default setting's and also enable your onboard.
Also, if you have more then one stick of ram, try using only one stick after clearing your cmos and on your next post, please include your spec's.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 5:36:18 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you verified that the monitor works with another computer? Also, can you remote desktop into the blank display system and see that it is actually working?

When you turn on the blank system, is it always blank (can't even see BIOS boot screen) or after it starts to load Windows?

Did you remove the 4850 and then try the on-board video? If so, and the system display was still blank, then in all likelihood your mobo is toast.

Will try to help with additional details.

Good luck!!!

Yes i tested the monitor and it works fine with other computers.

No, once i turn on the computer the display is just black. But i can hear the bios and computer booting.

Yeh i tried removing the 4850 and using only the on board video but still no display.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 5:42:21 PM

Try resetting the CMOS (move jumper pins per motherboard manual or just remove the battery, wait a couple seconds , and re-install) with the 4850 removed as suggested by Rogue77777 to see if resetting the system back to default will help. If that doesn't help, I would really consider the mobo as defective.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 5:42:59 PM

Rogue77777 said:
Since you said that you have onboard video, remove your 4850 and reset your cmos. This will reset your motherboard back to the factory default setting's and also enable your onboard.
Also, if you have more then one stick of ram, try using only one stick after clearing your cmos and on your next post, please include your spec's.

I have removed my 4850 and tried with the onboard but no display. How do i reset cmos? Is it to take out the batery and put it back in? If so i have tried that and nothing.

Yeh i have 2x 2gb so i'll try 1 stick in that case.

Specs:
CPU: Inter Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz
RAM: OCZ 4GB RAM (2x2) DDR2 800Mhz
HDD: Samsung HDD 500GB
DVD Player: Samsung DVD-ROM
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon 4850
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
PSU: Corsair 500W (i had a stock no name psu when this happend, but i changed to a corsair after the incident but this didn't help anyways)
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 5:50:11 PM

Yes, removing the battery and then putting back in will reset the BIOS/CMOS back to its original state (including resetting your OC settings). The memory suggestion may help, but doesn't sound promising. BTW, are the beeps the normal beeps that the PC would have when it started correctly?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 6:13:48 PM

I've tried the memory thing, didn't help. I'll try resetting the cmos again see if that helps. Hmmm beeps. This might sound wierd but i just dont hear beeps. Never really heard them or atleast i didn't take notice of them :na:  . Well i have conculed that it's either the MOBO or the GPU since the psu works fine with this and other computers.

I wanted to test the GPU on another computer see if it works, but none of my friends have a PCI-E slot, and my local computer store charges 50$ for any kind of component testing so no thank you...
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 6:20:07 PM

Were you OCing the CPU and the GPU or just one of them? Do you have any other devices, like a sound card, plugged into the motherboard? If so, remove them all before trying to reboot the system. If it isn't beeping, it could be that you don't have a speaker attached to the appropriate pins on the mobo itself. Usually, PCs beep and some beeps actually indicate the type of problem (like defective memory or no GPU) you have.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 6:25:49 PM

COLGeek said:
Were you OCing the CPU and the GPU or just one of them? Do you have any other devices, like a sound card, plugged into the motherboard? If so, remove them all before trying to reboot the system. If it isn't beeping, it could be that you don't have a speaker attached to the appropriate pins on the mobo itself. Usually, PCs beep and some beeps actually indicate the type of problem (like defective memory or no GPU) you have.

Yeh i was OC both of these but not enough to blow them up (atleast thats what i think) Nope no other devices, i have a built in sound card into the MOBO so i dont need another sound card. As for the pins, i don't have the sound pins in because i don't know which go where :)  I read the MOBO manual but i still didn't understand much on where to plug in what. Im not even sure if i have those sound pins. Are they usually attatched to the front panel of the case? or somewhere else?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 6:43:28 PM

Usually your case will have a small speaker built into it. Most speakers use red and black wires and they are usually attached to a 4 pin wide or 2 single pin connectors.

Many mobos also have a built-in peizo(sp?) speaker (yours doesn't appear to have one). It would look like a small black cylinder with a hole in the top of it.

The manual for your mobo can be found at:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard...

Page 28 (when viewed with Acrobat Reader out of 100 pages) shows where the speaker connects to the motherboard along with the other front panel connectors.

Connecting your speaker may give a clue (in order to hear the beep codes) to the system's problem(s).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 8:33:54 PM

COLGeek said:
Usually your case will have a small speaker built into it. Most speakers use red and black wires and they are usually attached to a 4 pin wide or 2 single pin connectors.

Many mobos also have a built-in peizo(sp?) speaker (yours doesn't appear to have one). It would look like a small black cylinder with a hole in the top of it.

The manual for your mobo can be found at:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard...

Page 28 (when viewed with Acrobat Reader out of 100 pages) shows where the speaker connects to the motherboard along with the other front panel connectors.

Connecting your speaker may give a clue (in order to hear the beep codes) to the system's problem(s).

Thanks for the info but it was no use, i plugged the 4pin audio connector into the slot properly (i've tried other ways on connecting it) but still no beeps. It's just a clean start up.

Where could i find this small black cylinder? are there any specific regions on the MOBO or has every MOBO got a different placefor it?

Also, i read in other forums that jumpers on the mobo might be 'ermm... bent?' im not sure, but something to do with the jumpers. But i have no clue how to change or use those, i know how they look. And i don't really know which jumped i need to change or anything like that.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2010 10:15:11 PM

If you connect a speaker to the speaker connection and get no sound, then the mobo is not booting. Just because fans are turning doesn't mean the system is operating, only that power is getting from the PSU to the fans.

I wouldn't think you need to do anything with any jumpers since the system used to work. The more I think of it, the more I think your mobo and/or even CPU could be the problem (as a result of OC).

I am out of good ideas. Sorry.
June 17, 2010 10:36:58 PM

You said that you reset the cmos. Was the power unplugged and did you leave the battery out for at least one minute? I leave mine out for 5 minutes when troubleshooting.
You can also buy a system speaker from your local pc store or get one from an old pc case.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 2:38:24 AM

If you are getting no beeps from the speaker, the board is doing nothing except passing power onto the fans plugged into it. sorry, but it does sound like something is wrong with the board.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 8:47:24 AM

Yeh i too think it's my motherboard since even the on-board video card isn't working. I still want to test my GPU because i think that's busted too. I've already chosen my new MOBO & GPU, so i guess i'll just have to buy new components.

How much could this system speaker cost? I have a feeling that the cable running from the case to the speaker slot in the mobo is not connecting. I'll have a look at the cables later and tell you if anythings changed.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 8:48:23 AM

Rogue77777 said:
You said that you reset the cmos. Was the power unplugged and did you leave the battery out for at least one minute? I leave mine out for 5 minutes when troubleshooting.
You can also buy a system speaker from your local pc store or get one from an old pc case.

Well i just unplugged everything, then took it out and put it back in again. I don't think time makes a difference to be honest
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 8:50:53 AM

COLGeek said:
If you connect a speaker to the speaker connection and get no sound, then the mobo is not booting. Just because fans are turning doesn't mean the system is operating, only that power is getting from the PSU to the fans.

I wouldn't think you need to do anything with any jumpers since the system used to work. The more I think of it, the more I think your mobo and/or even CPU could be the problem (as a result of OC).

I am out of good ideas. Sorry.

Nah i don't think it's the OC, i have stock 2.5Ghz, OC to 3Ghz. And i didn't increase the voltages at all so the CPU didn't affect this i think.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 1:57:02 PM

Quote:
Yeh i too think it's my motherboard since even the on-board video card isn't working. I still want to test my GPU because i think that's busted too. I've already chosen my new MOBO & GPU, so i guess i'll just have to buy new components.

How much could this system speaker cost? I have a feeling that the cable running from the case to the speaker slot in the mobo is not connecting. I'll have a look at the cables later and tell you if anythings changed.

This is what you need, they only cost a couple of bucks. Most higher end/better motherboards come with one somewhere in the box. They are just a tiny little speaker that plugs onto the speaker pins, just so you can hear the beeps. I think it is a pretty sad situation that motherboards don't have these built into the board. It would be an easy, inexpensive thing to do.

http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 2:15:12 PM

BTW, any OC puts additional stress on your system. Stress, mostly, in terms of heat. If your system isn't up to handling the additional heat generated by OCed CPUs and GPUs, they may work for a while, but they will eventually begin to suffer, in, often, obscure ways (lots of info throughout Tom's forums about OC issues/problems).

Not sure what heatsink you are using, but NEVER OC with a stock version. The OEM provided heatsinks are generally the cheapest version that can be bundled with the CPU that will allow it to operate in its base condition. These heatsinks are not up to OCing.

If you going to OC, you need to look at airflow, cleanliness, PSU requirements, heatsinks, and a number of other factors to ensure long-term stability of your system. Jumping from 2.5 GHz to 3.0 GHz is a jump of 20%. That indirectly translates into 20% more stress on your overall system in terms of power and heat generated. If you have one flaky component on your motherboard, for example, that is not up to the task. It will eventually fail, while it may have been perfectly fine when operating at normal settings.

Regardless, good luck getting your system up and running. HOOAH!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 3:34:34 PM

There is good advice right there^, I don't agree completely that stock heatsinks are all that bad. I have overclocked mildly (10-15%) for years with all sorts of processors, and I have never had a heat problem, or had a processor that ran hot.....at least hot enough to worry about. Some people worry about CPU damage, or shortened CPU life a little too much. Modern CPU's all throttle themselves if they get too hot. It takes a lot to damage a CPU. You have to literally, intentionally, nearly, be trying to damage a CPU to ruin one.
I still have a 300A celeron running 24/7 on an Abit BH6 at 450mhz. It has been running that way since 1997-98 Was my gaming machine back then, the last 10 years it has been on the plant floor in a board converting area where board dust covers everything. I take the side off the case and blow it out with an air hose about once a year, and man, what a mess! But it still works fine! We use it for bar code, and label programs with several high speed Zebra label printers. And, it is still running Windows 98. I sincerely believe that Abit BH6 motherboard is the reason for the longevity of that system. It was one of the best motherboards ever made IMHO.
The motherboard is more important I think. Cheap boards with cheap capacitors become a real problem, and a little overclock tinkering can kill one fast.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2010 10:04:04 AM

Thanks for the help about OC. I know quite a lot about OC since my cousin is a over clocking freak lol (5ghz from a 2.5ghz standard xd) and he helped me, i am using stock heatsink which intel provided me but it works great, and the temps never exceed 60-70 degrees C. Same with GPU, i've been OC that too but a little bit only, and the temps were still low, 50-70 degrees.

Well my board costed me about 50 pounds, so thats around 80-90 dollars i think, SO i dont thinks it's that bad xd although i just found out that this motherboard is not good for oc, which is what i do. So im gonna buy a asus board, for oc.
January 22, 2013 1:07:18 PM

Quote:
Yes i tested the monitor and it works fine with other computers.

No, once i turn on the computer the display is just black. But i can hear the bios and computer booting.

Yeh i tried removing the 4850 and using only the on board video but still no display.

i've having the same problem... but when i remove my grafix card display come back can you tell me how can my pc work with grafix card i'can't play games without it
!