Sign in with
Your question

Mass effect 2 overheats gpu to 115 degrees celsius

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2010 11:08:22 PM

my temp is in the 80s when im exploring, but in battles it goes from 100 to 115, and then it crashes, shutting down my pc or the game crashes, whats wrong? my idle temp is only in the 60s, its used to be in the 50s though, and i leave my computer on all night for half year but i turn off my monitor. somehow when i play alot like a few hours, it heats up to 110, but when i minimize the game it drops to 90s.
Is it okay if i just leave it like this, because even games like crysis doesnt heat over 85

a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2010 11:57:11 PM

you might actually get an answer if we had your system specs. So far as we know you could live on the sun and that is why your card is so hot.
m
l
May 11, 2010 1:55:44 AM

First thing you should do is clean out the dust from the card and check temps again.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 6:23:09 AM

First of all, list your complete specs here... :) 

what about the other games(except crysis)?
Does it overheat as well?
m
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 11:14:06 AM

i suspect your system might be overheated because your case cannot take out the heat out of your case properly. you should check your case and GPU heatsink for dust.

EDIT: typo
m
l
May 11, 2010 2:09:19 PM

Yeah start by cleaning out your case, and maybe re-apply the TIM on your GPU.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 2:17:44 PM

First we NEED information about your system for better advice. With the information you provided the best advice that we can give is to clean your card (the cooler).
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 12:39:56 AM

nforce4max said:
First we NEED information about your system for better advice. With the information you provided the best advice that we can give is to clean your card (the cooler).

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.5GHZ
XFX Radeon 4890 1gb
500WATTS PSW
Other stuff idk

First, i looked at my case inside, i dont see any dust and when i blow it there was only a little,
the temp just raise super high when i started playing bioshock 2 and mass effect 2, my idle temp went up from 52c to 68c
some times it goes up to 80s when im opening alot of programs

and somehow my internet is slowing down like *** i cant play games with high ping
I ALSO ASKED SOME OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR TEMPS ARE HIGH LIKE MINE BUT THEY DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:05:45 AM

NOW EVEN WITH MY GAME CLOSED, THE TEMP STAYS AT:

m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:16:33 AM

are you sure your card is free from dust?
re-apply the thermal paste might help a lot...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:17:59 AM

wa1 said:
are you sure your card is free from dust?
re-apply the thermal paste might help a lot...

idk what your talking about, now im trying to play gta4 then ill see the temps
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:25:44 AM

I see the temps are about the same, now i think that the change in temps must be the tuneup utilities i had installed,it told me to change something and i just pressed ok, cant undo

no artifacts from atitool, something is messed up.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 12:47:48 PM

You need to look up how to apply and clean compound. With out knowing that much of our advice is pointless. Second take the card out and attempt to clean the dust that is there even if it seams to not be much there. Third make sure all your fans are working properly and if there is an empty space for one get one. Fourth what brand and model is your psu, just saying wattage alone is never enough. I have seen projector lamps that had that wattage rating.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:20:10 PM

buy some compressed gas ($5) and fire that stuff down your GPU heat sink. In my old PC I didn't clean the GPU out - didn't even think about it - and after a couple years I broke it while gaming. So, I took it out and took it apart to see if anything melted or whatever, and there was dust blocking about half the heat sink channels. If you can, remove the heat sink cover and see for yourself. If not, just try blowing compressed gas down it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 7:53:18 PM

also, my pc temp gets up to 80 but then it goes down to 70, but the first time i open my ccc, the temp is always lower than 50 but in one second it goes to 70s
i also need to know if its related to opening my computer up and not turning the monitor off on some days i forgot because my temps while browsing the web is dropping to low 60s now once i shut down my pc at night
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 7:54:22 PM

nforce4max said:
You need to look up how to apply and clean compound. With out knowing that much of our advice is pointless. Second take the card out and attempt to clean the dust that is there even if it seams to not be much there. Third make sure all your fans are working properly and if there is an empty space for one get one. Fourth what brand and model is your psu, just saying wattage alone is never enough. I have seen projector lamps that had that wattage rating.

thermaltake black widow
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 1:22:49 AM

BUMP!!!!!!!
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 2:21:06 AM

Have you at least inspected your card in detail for dust build up in the cooler?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 4:44:22 AM

i see no dust, however when i was checking, a bunch of wires that existed inside the case was touched by me, and then when i tried to boot up my computer, it said"reboot and selecct proper boot device", then when i tried to put my recovery disk in, it said i didnt have a hard drive, i must did something, i checked, nothing's unplugged...
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 1:28:29 PM

You must have partially disconnected one of the SATA cables. Just pull the cable and put it back ware it was one end at a time.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 12:10:51 AM

nforce4max said:
You must have partially disconnected one of the SATA cables. Just pull the cable and put it back ware it was one end at a time.

Well where? I uninstalled my driver and tried to reinstall it until my monitor wasn't responding so i restarted my computer, that could be why,im trying to plug those leftover cables atm.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 12:29:08 AM

will restarting over and over and touching the parts harm the computer
i also need specific instructions on the sata cables, now the computer wont even turn on..
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 12:49:06 AM

No it shouldn't unless you rough house your hardware. The one thing I hate about sata is the cables and connectors. One the sata cable doesn't bend that well and is rather stiff. Second a stiff cable with lose fitting connectors they can come unplugged while the connectors them selves are very fragile and can break. When you go to insert the cable gently apply force to ware it locks but not to much or with a side to side wiggle movement or it may break. The drive its self you need to be even more careful. This is why I am still using older IDE drives as well they are more reliable. Lol IDE nunchucks.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 12:56:19 AM

nforce4max said:
No it shouldn't unless you rough house your hardware. The one thing I hate about sata is the cables and connectors. One the sata cable doesn't bend that well and is rather stiff. Second a stiff cable with lose fitting connectors they can come unplugged while the connectors them selves are very fragile and can break. When you go to insert the cable gently apply force to ware it locks but not to much or with a side to side wiggle movement or it may break. The drive its self you need to be even more careful. This is why I am still using older IDE drives as well they are more reliable. Lol IDE nunchucks.

Its working now, but the gpu is still overheating, 55c with fan speed to 100% while browsing web, 68c with fan speed to auto(60% to 70%)
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 9:53:19 PM

i just played me2 for almost 2 hours, the temps was close to 100, however once i closed the game, it dropped way down to low 60s, same when i minimize the game
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 10:56:55 PM

i need help on removing the gpu, im going to unscrew and get rid of the dust inside...however, i dont see any screws near the card when i tried to remove it, and i pulled the two wires connecting to it, doesnt come off
m
l
May 14, 2010 11:04:33 PM

Hey are you using 2 or more monitors? Reason I ask is because once I started using dual monitors my GPU idles at 53 celsius. It used to idle at a lot lower.

Oh and the 4000 series ATI cards run way freaken hot. I used to get up to 85c in my HAF 932 case. I returned it because the heat was riduclous.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 12:33:29 AM

tuesday0180 said:
Hey are you using 2 or more monitors? Reason I ask is because once I started using dual monitors my GPU idles at 53 celsius. It used to idle at a lot lower.

Oh and the 4000 series ATI cards run way freaken hot. I used to get up to 85c in my HAF 932 case. I returned it because the heat was riduclous.

No, only one
I see dust near the gpu fan, alot of dust, but i dont know how to take off the cover to see the inside, ill just get rid of the dust i see
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 2:10:14 AM

okay now, temps are decreasing, however i cant screw one of the screws because if i do the gpu won't be in the right spot, and it might take a long time to screw it, its okay to leave it unscrewed right? the screw is outside of the case, its just making the gpu stable

also one more question, what fan speed should i keep the it on, 100fan speed i get 47c,
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 2:14:44 AM

Do you have a camera that you can take a picture with?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 2:17:31 AM

nforce4max said:
Do you have a camera that you can take a picture with?

i dont think its necessary
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 2:32:33 AM

how long will my 4890 last with the fan turned to 100% all the time besides shutting it down every night/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 3:00:39 AM

wait did you ever get the gpu out of the pci-e slot, from your description i can't tell if you did or not. if you already took this out sorry for being redundant. But you'll need to unscrew the 2 screws inside your case where the pci-e expansion slots off, and there is also a small lever that is part of the slot, you need to push in to remove the card.

I'm almost wondering if somehow some of the thermal paste separated from the heatsink if removing the dust doesn't drops temps by alot then that could be a possibility
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 3:03:20 AM

jonnyboyC said:
wait did you ever get the gpu out of the pci-e slot, from your description i can't tell if you did or not. if you already took this out sorry for being redundant. But you'll need to unscrew the 2 screws inside your case where the pci-e expansion slots off, and there is also a small lever that is part of the slot, you need to push in to remove the card.

I'm almost wondering if somehow some of the thermal paste separated from the heatsink if removing the dust doesn't drops temps by alot then that could be a possibility

there was no screws besides one from the outside, and thermal paste, i dont know i just got rid of all the dust, so i need to buy thermal paste and just put some under the fan, thats where the heatsink is right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 3:25:24 AM

ignore the green i got the picture from google, but the black is your gpu chip if you want to reapply some new paste after you remove your gfx card from you case and remove the heatsink, you'll take the compound off the chip and off heatsink the goes on the chip, you really can do this with just a paper towel, then you'll apply the compound in a small dot in the middle, when you put the heatsink back on you'll sandwich the compound out thinly across it, then you'll need to reinstall the card
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 3:26:38 AM

jonnyboyC said:
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac14/jonnyboy13C/4890.jpg

ignore the green i got the picture from google, but the black is your gpu chip if you want to reapply some new paste after you remove your gfx card from you case and remove the heatsink, you'll take the compound off the chip and off heatsink the goes on the chip, you really can do this with just a paper towel, then you'll apply the compound in a small dot in the middle, when you put the heatsink back on you'll sandwich the compound out thinly across it, then you'll need to reinstall the card

i need to open it first, how do i do that? and if i opened it, can i just get the dust out?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 3:44:18 AM

well if you take your heatsink off, you probably should replace your thermal paste anyways, because you'll have, as the connection between the heat sink and chip will be messed up.

here a video it's with a 9600 but it's the same basic steps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-8cC3PNg4
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 4:38:05 PM

jonnyboyC said:
well if you take your heatsink off, you probably should replace your thermal paste anyways, because you'll have, as the connection between the heat sink and chip will be messed up.

here a video it's with a 9600 but it's the same basic steps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-8cC3PNg4

temps are high 40s to low 50s when fan speed is set to 100% while browsing the web, with fan speed set to 50, temps are around 80 when fan is set to 50%,even after i redid the thermal paste.
heats up to 100c from watching a movie.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 11:19:26 PM

also, my fan doesnt start until like 5 minutes then the temps keep going up, all the way up to 110 even when its idle
how long will my card last with this kind of overheating?
i bought my card on feb 05
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 1:33:36 AM

Quote:
also, my fan doesnt start until like 5 minutes then the temps keep going up, all the way up to 110 even when its idle
how long will my card last with this kind of overheating?
i bought my card on feb 05

the temps are always dropping when i open up my pc, even right after a crash, then the temps just go up no matter what
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 3:31:51 AM

I'm almost wondering if you have a faulty sensor. And a unproperly applied thermal paste can ruin temps. But just to make sure your computer giving you accurate readings, when it starts heating up just put your hand on the vent, if the gpu is like 100c and the air coming doesn't burn your hand after a bit, it either means, one the sensor isn't registering themps correctly, or you didn't apply the past correctly,

if you didn't apply it right, then heat isn't being draw out of your gpu effectivly, so the air coming out of the vent would be only luke warm
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 4:02:27 AM

well i dont know, however the temps are rising up slower when im gaming in windowed mode..
what do you mean sensor isnt registering temps correctly, it shuts down my pc
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 4:37:33 AM

I'm talking about the piece of hardware on the card that is telling the os what the temp is. Well when your in windowed mode, your resolution is lower so it puts less stress on your gpu. But actually feel the temp of the air coming out of the vent
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 2:06:20 PM

jonnyboyC said:
I'm talking about the piece of hardware on the card that is telling the os what the temp is. Well when your in windowed mode, your resolution is lower so it puts less stress on your gpu. But actually feel the temp of the air coming out of the vent

how long will the gpu last if it keeps overheating like this?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2010 10:51:57 PM

Well as long as the card remains relatively far from it's thermal limitit should be ok even if it's idle is very high but if your still trying to game and it's paste 100 degrees your probaly shorting the life of your card I would probably try to avoid gaming until you can get the tempurature problem to sort out
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2010 2:09:45 AM

jonnyboyC said:
Well as long as the card remains relatively far from it's thermal limitit should be ok even if it's idle is very high but if your still trying to game and it's paste 100 degrees your probaly shorting the life of your card I would probably try to avoid gaming until you can get the tempurature problem to sort out

sometimes no signal from my monitor when gpu is overheating, have to restart
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 17, 2010 2:31:10 AM

OK I'll say it again got a camera if so take pictures of your card for us to see. Again reinstall the cooler after reapplying the compound. To spread a thin layer, first clean the core, then apply a small drop, spread a by taking a small piece of plastic like cellophane or the wrapper from a coke bottle. Spread evenly till you have a uniform spread. Once you are done reinstall the cooler properly with all the screws. Once you are done turn the fanspeed to max and loop any game or benchmark to cure the compound. This is very simple a novice can master this so stop being scared.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2010 2:40:49 AM

^1+ a picture would really help alot
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2010 10:43:26 PM

nforce4max said:
OK I'll say it again got a camera if so take pictures of your card for us to see. Again reinstall the cooler after reapplying the compound. To spread a thin layer, first clean the core, then apply a small drop, spread a by taking a small piece of plastic like cellophane or the wrapper from a coke bottle. Spread evenly till you have a uniform spread. Once you are done reinstall the cooler properly with all the screws. Once you are done turn the fanspeed to max and loop any game or benchmark to cure the compound. This is very simple a novice can master this so stop being scared.

thats what i did, ill take a pic, i even took off the fan and cleaned the whole thing,also my monitor is getting no signal when the temp is pretty low, maybe i think the gpu is not in the right spot
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2010 2:27:05 AM

also, i have to restart everytime i get that signal, i need to restart like 20 times a day, its slowing down my pc
m
l
!