Sign in with
Your question

Laptop hard drive failure

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2012 12:55:47 AM

hi guys,
i have a question, i have a vostro 1000 laptop from dell with an amd anthlon 64. i tried installing windows 7. it used to have windows xp. i was installing windows 7 and it stopped midway. i started the computer again but it wouldnt work. i tried installing windows xp 2007 edition then windows xp 2003 edition, and even tried installing windows 98. now when i turn it on it says that a hard drive failure may be imminent and that the boot manager is missing and to press cntr+alt+del to restart the computer.
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
August 10, 2012 4:30:43 PM

Sounds like, as the error said, the drive is on its way out and needs to be replaced. Pull the drive out, and find out if it's an IDE or SATA drive, then go buy a replacement of that variety, slap it in, reinstall the OS, and go about your business.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 10, 2012 4:40:31 PM

Well before you go buy a new drive. Find out the make and download the dianostic tools from them to check the drive. You will need to create a boot CD fron the ISO you download.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2012 4:40:49 PM

There should be some Dell diagnostics you can run. Try pressing F12 while it boots (POSTs). If errors are detected, go for a new one. Should be a SATA drive according to Dell's tech specs on it. http://www.dell.com/us/en/bpi/notebooks/vostronb_1000/p...
You could try an SSD for speed or go for a mechanical drive if you need the storage space and don't mind it being slower.
m
l
August 10, 2012 8:47:19 PM

price_th said:
Well before you go buy a new drive. Find out the make and download the dianostic tools from them to check the drive. You will need to create a boot CD fron the ISO you download.

can you explain about how to make a cd from iso's and the downloading because i didnt download anything.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 13, 2012 7:28:54 AM

An example of this would be Seagate's SeaTools (every major manufacturer has a drive diagnostic tool you can download from there website

In SeaTools, you download the installer file, install the program and then use it to burn a start up disk that will boot your computer into an application that can test the drive. You may need to check with Dell to see exactly how to get into your BIOS Setup and change the boot device priority so that the boot disk is attempted before attempting to boot from the hard drive.
m
l
!