Solved

Can you....

Duct tape a PSU so that it fits in a case?
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. What exactly do you mean? Im sure in certain situations it may work.
  2. Here I'll copy paste my quote from another thread.


    Randomacts said:
    The current PSU I have is 3.2" (w) 5.5" (h) 5"(L)

    I want to put CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 7.09"(L) in there but I don't think it will fit... is there anyway to make it fit?


    :bounce:



    If I do that will the tape melt? Is heat resistant tape?
  3. What case do you have?


  4. Dell Studio XPS 435MT
  5. If I was the one that payed for that machine I would have set it onfire by now... to do what I want... Unless I can tape the PSU in or SOMEHOW keep it in there....

    Will cost $230 for graphics card... $130 for PSU and ~$100 for new case.. You can't put dell mobos in non dell cases... /sigh
  6. :( no one has a idea?
  7. What $230 graphics card needs an 850 watt PSU?

    Top mounted PSU - when the duct taped PSU comes loose, you are going to break something expensive. You need at least one screw simply for grounding purposes.
  8. jsc said:
    What $230 graphics card needs an 850 watt PSU?

    Top mounted PSU - when the duct taped PSU comes loose, you are going to break something expensive. You need at least one screw simply for grounding purposes.


    850 wat PSU for future proof.

    Should I pay the $$ and see if people at microcenter can install it? I know how to install PSU but... this is a bit hard..
  9. Shame your not in the uk :)
    I'd take that job on hehe
    I could think of something, depends on how handy you are with a drill and measuring, also how happy you'd be having 4 bolt-heads coming out the top of the case :P
    Oh, and voiding your new psu's warranty too [Evil smiley]
    Moto
  10. Motopsychojdn said:
    Shame your not in the uk :)
    I'd take that job on hehe
    I could think of something, depends on how handy you are with a drill and measuring, also how happy you'd be having 4 bolt-heads coming out the top of the case :P
    Oh, and voiding your new psu's warranty too [Evil smiley]
    Moto



    Lol how hard would it to make a new tray?
  11. Wasn't thinking that,
    another option you could try without voiding psu Warr.
    look at creating a 'shelf' for the new psu from the mobo back panel/tray cut out a
    shaped line in your backpanel, fold it down towards the inside of the case for the psu to sit on, obv make sure it comes far enough into the case to provide decent support for the psu, a 1/4 inch wont do it :)
    excuse my technical drawing lack, I just finished a nightshift,


    my original idea was to remove the psu's case ( voiding your warranty)
    place it to where it would be installed and drill 4 holes in the roof panel, fix bolts through pinning the case to the roof then put the gubbins part of psu in and re-close that up,
    fair bit of work either way tbh, but if you dont want to grease your warranty, I'd recommend the folding tab/shelf option
    :)
    Moto
  12. Motopsychojdn said:
    Wasn't thinking that,
    another option you could try without voiding psu Warr.
    look at creating a 'shelf' for the new psu from the mobo back panel/tray cut out a
    *Cant draw it lol, imagine a small n shape, elongate the horizontal bar.
    shaped line in your backpanel, fold it down towards the inside of the case for the psu to sit on, obv make sure it comes far enough into the case to provide decent support for the psu, a 1/4 inch wont do it :)

    my original idea was to remove the psu's case ( voiding your warranty)
    place it to where it would be installed and drill 4 holes in the roof panel, fix bolts through pinning the case to the roof then put the gubbins part of psu in and re-close that up,
    fair bit of work either way tbh, but if you dont want to grease your warranty, I'd recommend the folding tab/shelf option
    :)
    Moto



    Uh.... is there anything I could buy that would make it work I know the wiring works... but is there a shelf extender?
  13. in fact, looking a little closer at your case you could pop the rivets and remove the roof if you decide on the bolt method, just to make it a touch easier to work on, then use flathead screws to pin it back in place once your done
    Moto
  14. I'm confused about the bent idea...


    Oh well....


    If I go to a microcenter do you think they will be able to help me on this issue?

    *AND NOT BESTBUY ...ewww*
  15. Shelf extender? if I needed to extend a shelf I'd cut a strip of metal out from the tray and use that, bolt/screw it to the cutout shelf, but it would be easier/tidier to just make the shelf fit right by itself imo, how wide is the case?, more drawing to follow, brb
    Moto
  16. Motopsychojdn said:
    Shelf extender? if I needed to extend a shelf I'd cut a strip of metal out from the tray and use that, bolt/screw it to the cutout shelf, but it would be easier/tidier to just make the shelf fit right by itself imo, how wide is the case?, more drawing to follow, brb
    Moto



    From the outside the case is 6.5" wide
  17. Oh btw I don't have the PSU or graphics card yet.. nor will I order them till I'm 100% sure they will work
  18. other way of cutting/bending strip of metal to support psu

    I reckon they (Shop muppets) will just say it doesn't fit sorry, buy a different case like xxx one we have here, you may find a local repair guy/ Modder willing to give it a go, I know I would :)
    Moto
  19. Motopsychojdn said:
    other way of cutting/bending strip of metal to support psu
    http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/alternatepsucut.png
    I reckon they (Shop muppets) will just say it doesn't fit sorry, buy a different case like xxx one we have here, you may find a local repair guy/ Modder willing to give it a go, I know I would :)
    Moto



    The folk at micocenters unlike Bestbuy are smart and know there stuff.
  20. give it a go, you may find they do fancy a challenge, :P
    if you dont get any luck with them, you know where I am mate
    Moto
  21. Motopsychojdn said:
    give it a go, you may find they do fancy a challenge, :P
    if you dont get any luck with them, you know where I am mate
    Moto



    If they manage to get this running, and I can tell by the look on their face they are thinking "OMGZ I have never seen this problem before" I might even gve them a tip. :lol:
  22. hehe, ok man, Hope they can sort it for you, I'll check back later though
    see how you got on
    Moto
  23. Why Bother? Buy a new case and get on with it. By the time you fool around retrofitting the Dell case you will have invested the cost of a new case even at minimum wage. Also you will have to make these mode inside and around the installed components. One slip and your dead so to speak. Looking at newegg today you can get a new case for under $50 that will fit all you components.
  24. Dogsnake said:
    Why Bother? Buy a new case and get on with it. By the time you fool around retrofitting the Dell case you will have invested the cost of a new case even at minimum wage. Also you will have to make these mode inside and around the installed components. One slip and your dead so to speak. Looking at newegg today you can get a new case for under $50 that will fit all you components.



    I'm prety sure that dell motherboards only fits in dell cases. ;/
  25. actually that case looks very standard. why wont a normal psu fit?
  26. as far as i can tell its a normal atx case :)

    http://img153.imageshack.us/i/img2359mo5.jpg/
  27. shovenose said:
    actually that case looks very standard. why wont a normal psu fit?

    The current PSU I have is 3.2" (w) 5.5" (h) 5"(L)


    I want to put CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

    5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 7.09"(L)

    in there
  28. well i would say to find a shorter length psu and it will fit :)
    like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
  29. Best answer
    regardless i think it will fit. the dell case is an atx case. and the corsair is an atx psu. so there you have it. it might be a bit of a tight squeeze against the cd drive but it should work...
  30. shovenose said:
    regardless i think it will fit. the dell case is an atx case. and the corsair is an atx psu. so there you have it. it might be a bit of a tight squeeze against the cd drive but it should work...



    Ok thanks.. I'm still prob going to go to Micocenter to go there and ask if the other PSU I wanted would fit *I would much rather have that one in there* :bounce:
  31. Best answer selected by Randomacts.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Components Product