Solution
regardless i think it will fit. the dell case is an atx case. and the corsair is an atx psu. so there you have it. it might be a bit of a tight squeeze against the cd drive but it should work...

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
studio-xps-435-mt-side.jpg

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
If I was the one that payed for that machine I would have set it onfire by now... to do what I want... Unless I can tape the PSU in or SOMEHOW keep it in there....

Will cost $230 for graphics card... $130 for PSU and[strike] ~$100 for new case..[/strike] You can't put dell mobos in non dell cases... /sigh

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

850 wat PSU for future proof.

Should I pay the $$ and see if people at microcenter can install it? I know how to install PSU but... this is a bit hard..

Shame your not in the uk :)
I'd take that job on hehe
I could think of something, depends on how handy you are with a drill and measuring, also how happy you'd be having 4 bolt-heads coming out the top of the case :p
Oh, and voiding your new psu's warranty too [Evil smiley]
Moto

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Lol how hard would it to make a new tray?

Wasn't thinking that,
another option you could try without voiding psu Warr.
look at creating a 'shelf' for the new psu from the mobo back panel/tray cut out a
shaped line in your backpanel, fold it down towards the inside of the case for the psu to sit on, obv make sure it comes far enough into the case to provide decent support for the psu, a 1/4 inch wont do it :)
excuse my technical drawing lack, I just finished a nightshift,
cutcaseforpsu.jpg

my original idea was to remove the psu's case ( voiding your warranty)
place it to where it would be installed and drill 4 holes in the roof panel, fix bolts through pinning the case to the roof then put the gubbins part of psu in and re-close that up,
fair bit of work either way tbh, but if you dont want to grease your warranty, I'd recommend the folding tab/shelf option
:)
Moto

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Uh.... is there anything I could buy that would make it work I know the wiring works... but is there a shelf extender?

Shelf extender? if I needed to extend a shelf I'd cut a strip of metal out from the tray and use that, bolt/screw it to the cutout shelf, but it would be easier/tidier to just make the shelf fit right by itself imo, how wide is the case?, more drawing to follow, brb
Moto

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

From the outside the case is 6.5" wide

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

The folk at micocenters unlike Bestbuy are smart and know there stuff.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

If they manage to get this running, and I can tell by the look on their face they are thinking "OMGZ I have never seen this problem before" I might even gve them a tip. :lol:

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Why Bother? Buy a new case and get on with it. By the time you fool around retrofitting the Dell case you will have invested the cost of a new case even at minimum wage. Also you will have to make these mode inside and around the installed components. One slip and your dead so to speak. Looking at newegg today you can get a new case for under $50 that will fit all you components.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

I'm prety sure that dell motherboards only fits in dell cases. ;/