Please convince me to wait. Whats coming up?

Hey everyone,

I am planning on building a new system in 2010 but I want to know if there are any reasons to wait:

It's been a while since I put my ear to the ground in THG. I've read the charts and the latest "best x for the money"

Have you heard anything about more processor cores, CPU/mobo chipset switches or compatibility walls that would make me kick myself for buying in the next 2 months?

Also if you follow prices or you know of generally good times to buy please let me know!

I'm faintly aware of mobo issues with new 3TB drives. That's all.

13 answers Last reply
More about please convince wait whats coming
  1. Sandy bridge is coming out end of this year maybe something to look into
  2. Thanks for the heads up:

    "According to statements made by Intel, Sandy Bridge is expected to be released in Q4 2010."

    Socket H2 (LGA 1155) in the end of 2010 and a new socket coming a year from now.

    Watch this be Core i4, i6 and i8. :-)
  3. What is your budget range? Because the 1356 socket is extremely high end and I don't think that concerns you.
  4. There's always something newer coming.
  5. the "Bulldozer" from AMD , wich is an 8 core proc , it will be released at the end of the year , and should be at an affordable price
  6. forgot the i9 , he is coming too or is it allready?

    look into native SATA/6G with RAID support:

    SATA/6G SSDs should start showing up
    any quarter now (was "any day now" but
    Intel has retards working in their chipset
    division, imho).

    Look for:

    LGA 1155
    LGA 1154
    LGA 1153
    LGA xxxx (you see the pattern LOL!)

    ... any second now (was "any minute now").

  8. p.s a REAL bumper sticker:


  9. but if u think better any pc will be outdated , so it doesnt matter wich one u get , in time , it will become old and outdated
  10. MRFS said:

    SATA/6G SSDs should start showing up
    any quarter now (was "any day now" but
    Intel has retards working in their chipset
    division, imho).

    The Crucial C300 is SATA 6 Gb/s, but that's the only one that's out that I'm aware of.
  11. until now its the only one , maybe tommorow it wont, but today it is
  12. So is there any reason to go out of my way to get sata 6GB/s if I'm not using an SSD?

    Also I would definately wait if it meant a PCI express x16 3.0 was coming out. wikipedia says the spec is coming out really soon:

    "In August 2007, PCI-SIG announced that PCI Express 3.0 will carry a bit rate of 8 gigatransfers per second. The final specification is due in the second quarter of 2010 and will be backwards compatible with existing PCIe implementations."

    Edit: My budget is between $1000 and $2000, I usually opt for quality brands and value. I tend to avoid really high end parts because you get diminishing returns the more you pay after a point.

    I'd probably pay $180 - $300 for a video card(s). Same for processor.

    Thanks everyone, lots of good advice coming in!

    Edit Edit: PCI Express 3.0 meeting June 23 at a PCI-SIG,2845,2364319,00.asp
    Maybe they will release the spec?
  13. With a $2000 budget, I'd consider paying spending at least $400 on a GPU. Anyway, I'd don't think there is anything worth waiting for right now. Between the i5-750, i7-930, 1055T, and 1090T, there are so many sweet and affordable options right now. Pick you poison, have fun, and stop over-thinking, would be my humble advice.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product