CPU Fan question

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Can i connect a 4 pin CPU fan connector too a two pin 5v or 12v connector that runs from the PSU. As a example could i connect a stranded 4 pin CPU fan to PSU with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200012? I don't care if it runs at max RPM.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
This is probably a stupid question but how loud are we talking with the fan running at 2300 rpm i know its not gonna be quite or even close to it but I'm not gonna have a 747 in my case right?

You need to connect your CPU fan to your CPU_ FAN header on your motherboard so that it knows that there is a spinning fan on your CPU, its part of the checks that it does to make sure that your CPU isnt going to overheat and cook itself.

What cooler are you using? The speed of the fan partly affects the noise, but the fan blade design and bearing type has a more significant effect on the noise level of the fan. It shouldnt be too loud, and if you have it hooked up to your motherboard it will stay low until temps go up then it will crank up to full speed, mine makes a high pitched whine but it usually doesnt matter since i have headphones on whenever its under load.

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
this is cpu fan not case for what reason you will connect your cpu fan directly to the psu imagine you are getting more than the full speed of that fan how it will be loud and noisy its ok i get it your asking because you maybe overclocking and you think it will be more powerful if you connect it directly to the PSU for me i wouldnt think to do that just get after market cooler for 50$ buck

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
The problem is there seems to be some thing wrong with my bios and no matter what i cant get the MOB to speed the fan up past 1094 rpm . Iv tried speed fan iv tried changing the setting in BIOS. I just wanna know will a 4 pin pwm work on a 2 pin from PSU.

You can set it to ignore the error received from not having a fan connected but it is not a good idea in most cases (usually would only do so if the connector on the MOBO was not working) - and yes connnecting a different fan would bypass the check as well but again not a good idea as then the system can not monitor the fan speed and adjust it as the CPU temp rises.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Well I'm going to run the fan straight from PSU so the fans gonna be at 100% iv been told its dangerous because the CPU fan can go out and i wouldn't know, which makes sense on paper but on the off chance the HSF fan gave out the CPU would over heat and shut down preventing serious damage I'm thinking.