Seeing the light, switching back from a Mac

rewinfrey

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Beginning of July

BUDGET RANGE: $1300 (after rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: coding, music production, gaming, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: building a new desktop system to replace 7 year old G4 powerbook (all parts required)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD / ATI; 24” LCD

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm tired of Macs and enjoy working on Ubuntu and Windows more. Have spent a lot of timing reading reviews of mobo’s, gpu’s and ram. I must keep this build under $1300 including all components needed for a system.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 & Cooler Master Hyper 212 Combo $210

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5850 $290

MOBO: Gigabyte 890FX AM3 mobo & Rosewill Destroyer ATX mid tower case combo $215

Antec PSU: EarthWatts 650W $75

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1333 $105

Monitor: ASUS 23” HD 1080p (19820 x 1080) $200

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $80

DVD Burner: Samsung 22X $23

Total: $1,300

I really enjoy reading the suggestions and recommendations offered here. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you~

Solution
Why not just go single GPU as upgrade for the GPU slot for a gaming rig is inevitable? Just go with the next gen bang for buck Full HD gaming class GPU later hehe $1198AR with OS and LCD of your choice
Untitled-159.jpg

rewinfrey

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks Batuchka, you know how to work those combos. I debated between the 5850 and 5870, but I can't argue against your logic there. I know the NZXT Evo case gets a lot of positive reviews, but it's not the most attractive thing. haha, case aside, I like the build. ^^

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Seeing the light, switching back from a Mac

YAY!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sorry for that joyous outburst............

I'm fighting a battle trying to convince the world of Apple's evil scheme. MACS spelt backwards is SCAM. So obvious, yet so subliminal.........

anyway..
..surprise.. +1 to batuchka's build :lol:

rewinfrey

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
hahahaha~ yeah it's been a long time coming...about 10 years ago i built an AMD 1 ghz machine and thought 512 mb of ram was rocking. in apple's defense it is much easier to play with the OSX's shell than windows', imo. haha, the joy is all mine~

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
STupid Mark Health I wanted to post exactly the same :p

But you beat me to it. I to have been fighting apple be it only for their totally pathetic name: "apple" LOL

I shall get you for that Mark, you shall see.

uh oh... uh oh... UH OH!!!

*screams while running around in circles, then hides under the computer desk wimpering*

pwease don't hurt me sir. I'll be good. promise.

:lol:

shovenose

Distinguished
OMG MACS BACKWARDS= SCAM!!!
i really like this idea, and i am now going to tell that to everyone i know who has a mac LOL apple is stupid but they offer free diaganostic in the san franciso stonestown apple store. i will bring my ipod there...

MACS ARE SCAMS!!!

TRENDING THREADS