Compatability issue with Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

codet74

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I am confused about the types of connectors in my Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard. I am looking to buy a GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card, but I guess it takes a 6 pin power connector?

What does this mean? Also, would it work on my motherboard?

I'm sure this is a pretty lame question, but any help would be appreciated.

Solution
No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The 9800GTX+ and all other PCI-e graphic cards would fit into the 16x PCI-e slot (none actually use two slots). However, the 9800GTX+ requires two PCI-e power connectors, which come from your power supply in order to power up the graphic card, not two slots. I suggest you get a GTS 250 instead which uses less power and only needs one six pin PCI-e power connector, and provides the same performance.

pci-e-power-connector-2.jpg

That is what a six pin PCI-e connector looks like.

I hope that this makes it clearer.

The GeForce 9800GTX+ would fit in your motherboard, as wa1 said, in the PCI-e 16x slot. IIRC the GeForce 9800GTX+ needs two six pin PCI-e connectors, and I'd get a GTS 250 instead which uses slightly less power and only requires one PCI-e 16x connector (they are the exact same graphics chip however).

codet74

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Yeah, my PSU is just a standard 300 watt one that came with the computer. Assuming that I did buy the card, I was going to buy a bigger PSU, like a 650 watt or something.

codet74

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Ok, so since my motherboard only has one PCI-e x16 slot, the 9800GTX+ wouldn't even fit? Even after researching, I didn't realize that it needed two slots.

No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The 9800GTX+ and all other PCI-e graphic cards would fit into the 16x PCI-e slot (none actually use two slots). However, the 9800GTX+ requires two PCI-e power connectors, which come from your power supply in order to power up the graphic card, not two slots. I suggest you get a GTS 250 instead which uses less power and only needs one six pin PCI-e power connector, and provides the same performance.

pci-e-power-connector-2.jpg

That is what a six pin PCI-e connector looks like.

I hope that this makes it clearer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.