Closed Solved

Compatability issue with Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard

I am confused about the types of connectors in my Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard. I am looking to buy a GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card, but I guess it takes a 6 pin power connector?

What does this mean? Also, would it work on my motherboard?

I'm sure this is a pretty lame question, but any help would be appreciated.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatability issue asus ipibl motherboard
  1. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212
    Is that your motherboard?

It has a PCI-E slot, then you can install any graphic card, including 9800GTX+

What about PSU? brand? model?
    9800GTX+ is a power hungry card, you must have an enough power from your PSU...
  2. The GeForce 9800GTX+ would fit in your motherboard, as wa1 said, in the PCI-e 16x slot. IIRC the GeForce 9800GTX+ needs two six pin PCI-e connectors, and I'd get a GTS 250 instead which uses slightly less power and only requires one PCI-e 16x connector (they are the exact same graphics chip however).
  3. wa1 said:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212
    Is that your motherboard?

It has a PCI-E slot, then you can install any graphic card, including 9800GTX+

What about PSU? brand? model?
    9800GTX+ is a power hungry card, you must have an enough power from your PSU...

Yeah, my PSU is just a standard 300 watt one that came with the computer. Assuming that I did buy the card, I was going to buy a bigger PSU, like a 650 watt or something.
  4. Lmeow said:
    The GeForce 9800GTX+ would fit in your motherboard, as wa1 said, in the PCI-e 16x slot. IIRC the GeForce 9800GTX+ needs two six pin PCI-e connectors, and I'd get a GTS 250 instead which uses slightly less power and only requires one PCI-e 16x connector (they are the exact same graphics chip however).

Ok, so since my motherboard only has one PCI-e x16 slot, the 9800GTX+ wouldn't even fit? Even after researching, I didn't realize that it needed two slots.
  5. Best answer
    No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The 9800GTX+ and all other PCI-e graphic cards would fit into the 16x PCI-e slot (none actually use two slots). However, the 9800GTX+ requires two PCI-e power connectors, which come from your power supply in order to power up the graphic card, not two slots. I suggest you get a GTS 250 instead which uses less power and only needs one six pin PCI-e power connector, and provides the same performance.

That is what a six pin PCI-e connector looks like.

I hope that this makes it clearer.
  6. Ok, that really clears things up. I was confused as to what exactly a 6 pin connector was.

Thanks a lot for your help.
  7. Agree with Lmeow, no need to look back at old tech.
    You will be better with GTS 250.
  8. Yeah, I'm definitely going to start researching more into the GTS 250. Thanks for your input.
  9. You're welcome.
  10. Best answer selected by Codet74.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus Motherboards Graphics