Sign in with
Your question

Do you hava a problem in extending system partition of Windows server

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2012 6:45:27 AM

Hello, the system of my windows server 2008 r2 is running really slow, I have to extend the partition of system!! I've tried the built-in disk management of windows, but after releasing some free space from drive d: I just cant add it to drive c: which is the os partition, it's disgusting!! I cant move its position! :fou:  then I found some 3rd part softwares, but all of them are not free :cry:  they're more expensive than I can afford :cry:  Is there some advises to help me~~ thanks a lot!!
August 10, 2012 6:53:44 AM

Hey, I had the same issue.

This is how I solved it:
1- move all data on D: to another server / location
2- delete partition D:
3- increase C:
4- create partition D:
5- move data back to D:

This will work, but you will probably have to do it after hours.

[EDIT] I also used a free partition tool to fix a similar issue on my personal pc, http://www.partitionwizard.com/. Worked flawlessly.
August 10, 2012 7:09:22 AM

Gparted from within an Ubuntu live CD is free and works well with NTFS and FAT 32. I've used it to clone windows and shift partitions around with ease. Lots of flexibility for no cost! Plus, you can add more filesystems by adding them from within Synaptic and install them to ram while running the live CD if needed.
Related resources
August 13, 2012 6:37:37 AM

esther2012 said:
Hello, the system of my windows server 2008 r2 is running really slow, I have to extend the partition of system!! I've tried the built-in disk management of windows, but after releasing some free space from drive d: I just cant add it to drive c: which is the os partition, it's disgusting!! I cant move its position! :fou:  then I found some 3rd part softwares, but all of them are not free :cry:  they're more expensive than I can afford :cry:  Is there some advises to help me~~ thanks a lot!!

Here is a 3rd part freeware I think is want you want. Aomei partition assistant: http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2008/wind..., very useful
October 17, 2012 6:40:51 AM

esther2012 said:
Thx! it's really helpful~~

Compare to the softwares provide above they have no free version to manage windows server machines. And I have download the Partition Assistant Lite Edition to have a try and find that it could resize the partition without limit, it is exciting, so I all suggestion server manager could use this freeware to manage their partitions.
!