Sign in with
Your question

New Build. And as always, new problems. Help Please!

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2010 6:29:45 PM

Ok so I just finished my new build yesterday and am VERY disappointed with its gaming performance.
My old system was:

Pentium D 3.4ghz,
GeForce 9800GTX+,
4gigs of DDR2 @ 667mhz 5,5,5,15 timings,
IDE HD (terrible i know :??:  ),
and a rosewill 600 watt PS with 2 +12v rails @ 19 amps each.

I also have 3 monitors hooked up with a matrox triplehead2go. I built this sytem specifically for use with the triplehead2go. My goal of the build was to be able to play games across 3 monitors at a resolution of 3840x1024 as close to 60 fps as possible.

Ok so now onto my new build:

ASUS p5n-d atx motherboard. nforce 750 i believe,
Intel Core2Quad Q9400 2.66ghz with 6mb L2,
Western Digital SATA HD
2 GeForce 9800GTX+ in SLI
Corsair 750 watt PS with one +12v rail @ 60 amps,
4 gigs DDR2 @ 667mhz 5,5,5,15 timings (kept the memory from my old build to save $)

So I finish the build yesterday load up some games and am very disappointed with its performance. On my old rig I was running Battlefield Bad Company 2 at 20fps across 3 screens with a resolution of 3840x1024. All settings max and vsync on. My new build runs the game 25-30fps :pfff:  . Same settings. I tried a few more games and only noticed about a 10fps gain from my old build :(  .

Shouldnt I be getting more than a 10fps gain with a quadcore and sli? I mean my old pentium D was basically just 2 P4's on a single die so I figured with the efficency of core technology and the addition of 2 extra cores my fps whould be blazing. I also tried to run the game on one screen at a resolution of 1280x1024 and got 45-55 fps. But still with my specs you would think I would be getting a solid 60 no?

So tell me am I just expecting too much from my system? I honestly dont think I am seeing how large a jump I did from my old build, but ill let you guys tell me. Am I in need of an overclock? Would that give me the performance gain im looking for? I have no idea how to overclock. At all. So if anybody knows any settings that will work for my board/cpu/ram combo please share them. Or is it my old ram that could be causing the problem or maybe something I forgot to configure in the bios/windows/gfx drivers?

Please share your experiences with getting your rig to run properly and at optimal performance and help me get mine going too! :sol: 

-Matt

More about : build problems

June 17, 2010 6:43:49 PM

hmm.. you sort of chose outdated components if this is a new build.. but anyway..

I don't think the performance gain is unreasonable, but I would have expected more. Then again, the stuff in both builds is a bit outdated and you're running on a massive res. I'd recommend an overclock in this situation or even a new build if you're willing to go the extra mile (but o'cing is probably better atm)

I could be completly wrong about the performance though..
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:03:27 PM

Did you install the latest drivers from nvidia. Maybe a stpid question but you never know.

Are u sure all the settings are the same as your last build? Are you sure your sli is working properly?
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 7:11:04 PM

Yea my old build is very outdated and even my new one to a lesser extent. When I built my old one all that stuff was top of the line and very pricy and I didnt really see a good performance to value ratio. I could have spend a few hundred less and had a build that would run close to what I bought. So this time I chose to buy older cheaper stuff. But even so I think its a pretty big jump from my old build. Thats why I was expecting more than a 10fps gain.

Ive even tried the games single screen at a normal resolution and I still cant get a solid 60. I know something has to be wrong because a friend of mine has a core2duo @ 2.66ghz, 2gigs DDR2 @ 800mhz, and a single GeForce 900GTX+ and he can run bioshock 2 on his single screen at 1280x1040 at a solid 60fps. Where as mine gets 50-60 with a single screen same rez and I have a quad core, sli, and double the ram.

Are there any sttings you could recommend for an overclock? Ive tired the ASUS auto overclock where you choose between a 5-20% oc. Problem with that is it links the memory to the OC and that causes the system to be unstable or not boot at all. I can only get it stable at 5% auto OC. So im looking to be able to just overclock the CPU without linking the ram.

Im only looking to get it to the 3.0ghz area. 3.4 would be awesome. but I would take anything in the 3's. I have an ASUS silent square heatsink inside an antec 900 case so im not worried about temps getting high.

Keep the replies coming. Thanks.
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:14:16 PM

I'm only asking this because one or two people have seen something similar recently. Are you sure that you have the graphics cards in the right PCI slots?

Alternatively, you might download GPU-Z and see if the slots are running with the appropriate number of lanes. If one of them is running at x4 or x1, that might cause issues.
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:25:24 PM

Another "just checking" question. Have you installed the SLI bridge?
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:25:26 PM

or get some rams with more frequencies and see if it changes anything
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:25:41 PM

Somebody_007 said:
Did you install the latest drivers from nvidia. Maybe a stpid question but you never know.

Are u sure all the settings are the same as your last build? Are you sure your sli is working properly?

My drivers are the most recent. 257.21 for windows 7 32bit. This is my first sli build so how would I know if it is working properly? They are plugged in (obviously) and I have sli enabled in the drivers. Other than that I left the rest of ther setting on thier default. Should I change them around to "optimize" the sli?

The only difference from my old build would be moving from xp to windows 7. and direct x9 to direct x10.

Other than that the setting are the same.
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:27:36 PM

SpeedHunter_2010 said:
or get some rams with more frequencies and see if it changes anything

That's not really a helpful comment. Suggesting troubleshooting options is helpful, suggesting that someone buy faster RAM is generally not.
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:28:16 PM

yeah wanted to ask the sli bridge question too thats what I meant with is sli working properly actually. And yes that was a VERY lame comment
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:29:39 PM

I think your problem lies with the SLI configuration.

Most games still cannot use more than a couple of cores so unless you can achieve a really high OC, the Q9400 is largely wasted.

If you are going to try to overclock, learn to use the BIOS.

m
l
June 17, 2010 7:32:14 PM

Just a nooby question can you actually OC GPU's in the bios?
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:34:46 PM

coldsleep said:
I'm only asking this because one or two people have seen something similar recently. Are you sure that you have the graphics cards in the right PCI slots?

Alternatively, you might download GPU-Z and see if the slots are running with the appropriate number of lanes. If one of them is running at x4 or x1, that might cause issues.

I downloaded GPU-Z and checked the bus interface. It shows it as PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0 and on CPU-Z it shows my graphic interface link width at x16. Am i looking at the right place?

EDIT: I do have the sli bridge installed. There are two spots to put it on. Towards the back of the card and another to the right of that one. I put it closest to the back. Would this make a difference?
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:34:51 PM

coldsleep said:
That's not really a helpful comment. Suggesting troubleshooting options is helpful, suggesting that someone buy faster RAM is generally not.

i never said "buy" i said "get" that could mean rent some from a friend also i dint say that it would solve his problem i said "if it changes anything" that could mean more performance in the game
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:40:19 PM

jsc said:
I think your problem lies with the SLI configuration.

Most games still cannot use more than a couple of cores so unless you can achieve a really high OC, the Q9400 is largely wasted.

If you are going to try to overclock, learn to use the BIOS.

Yea thats what i was thinking too. But when Im running Battlefield BC2 it shows something running on all 4 cores. So it seems as if it is utilizing them no? But it seems like it may be my sli configuration. Cuz I dont notice much of a gian with sli enabled or much loss with it disabled. In mirrors edge I actually drop around 30-40 fps with sli enabled.

How would I go about trouble shooting my sli config? And fixing it if it is the problem?
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:53:04 PM

from wich card does ur LCD connect , it should matter but most put it from the card closest to the proc
m
l
June 17, 2010 8:17:49 PM

So I think I may have figured out the problem. I turned sli off and Battlefield ran exactly like it did on my old rig. Only once I turned it on did I get a fps boost. 5-10 fps. I think I was just expecting too much out of my cards in sli. I dunno. So it seems my sli is working properly, unless i should be getting more of a boost. Or is this an average gain? Anyway I did an a.i. overclock of 5% on the cpu and gained about a little over 5 fps in each game :o  ! So I think overclocking is my solution. Thanks you guys so much for your help. Time to hop over to the overclockers board!
m
l
June 18, 2010 4:38:36 AM

Quote:
Anyway I did an a.i. overclock of 5% on the cpu and gained about a little over 5 fps in each game :o  !

wow.. maybe it is cpu limited in some way..

anyway good luck o'cing :) 
m
l
!