Ok soreally need help CONFUSED

savan1221

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
ok i want something that can overclock a processor to at least 5ghz
i can pick amd phenom ii x6 1100t or 2600k
if i pick 2600k then i am expecting more then 5ghz
i am looking for a board with lucid chip so i can use my gtx460 with a high end ati card
i already saw this mobo for amd by msi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130564&Tpk=msi%20870a%20fuzion
my concern with this is can it overclock to 5ghz+ and most importantly can the processor handle it with a h70 or liquid cooling
then i also saw this mobo for 1155 socket
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=000102&pid=1046
for this mobo when is it going to come out

and are there any more lucid mobo coming out for am3 or 1155 socket and if so how long
for budget as cheap as it can be but i am willing to spend

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
you really are confused...

you have an Nvidia card, you need to pick up another one and do SLI on a P67 mobo with at least 2 pci 16x slots at 8x each... research a solid mobo that overclocks the 2600k easily to 5ghz and get another gtx460... going with lucid at this point seems like going out of your way to do something unnecessary...

You need to do some research because you have absolutely no idea what your talking about.

I generally agree with the above:

1) LucidLogix isn't quite there yet. Their motherboards are probably overpriced so the difference in money could go towards a graphics card.

2) 5GHz? FYI, the stock CPU will probably handle most SLI or Crossfire configurations. You can monitor the CPU usage with Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). Monitor all threads. If you don't have at least two threads hitting 100% then there's no need to overclock the CPU as that means your limited by the graphics card(s).

Also keep in mind that PhysX won't work if an ATI card is detected in the system.

Summary:
1) ignore LucidLogix. Spend about $150 on a motherboard.
2) get a second GTX460 if one isn't enough
3) overclock the CPU only if needed otherwise it just creates noise, heat and may damage the CPU
4) get the Intel 2600K
5) get a $40-$70 heatsink/fan for your CPU. I still don't recommend clocking beyond 3.5GHz