If I have high air flow case, would it be wise to remove GPU cover?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm talking about the plastic cover that covers the entire graphics board for Nvidia GTX200 type cards.

The card itself was designed so that the air is blown through the plastic casing out the back of the PC tower. If I remove this plastic casing, would my GPU temperatures improve since I have fantastic case cooling (HAF 932+ some custom fans).

Solution
I would say don't touch it. The GTX200 cards haven't been made for low end computers with one rear fan, they were designed for people who will have at least a few fans on the front and back of their case but still have a cover to help the fan's airflow. If the card would benefit from having the plastic off, I'm sure you would already have a load of OC editions that do that when you buy them.

By taking the plastic off the cooler, the stock fan will hardly be doing it's job any more. If you put your hand at the back of your case the GTX moves quite a lot of air and I think the only way you'll get the same airflow without using the stock fan would be would be to have one or two fans right below your GPU blowing up onto it.

I don't think...

acer0169

Distinguished
I would say don't touch it. The GTX200 cards haven't been made for low end computers with one rear fan, they were designed for people who will have at least a few fans on the front and back of their case but still have a cover to help the fan's airflow. If the card would benefit from having the plastic off, I'm sure you would already have a load of OC editions that do that when you buy them.

By taking the plastic off the cooler, the stock fan will hardly be doing it's job any more. If you put your hand at the back of your case the GTX moves quite a lot of air and I think the only way you'll get the same airflow without using the stock fan would be would be to have one or two fans right below your GPU blowing up onto it.

I don't think it would help at all and would probably increase your GPU temp and/or case temp by quite a bit.

Solution

acer0169

Distinguished
Your only other option might be that you could take the plastic off and cut it down, so the fins near the back of the card (where the dvi ports are) are open and getting some air from the side. Again though, would probably ruin the cards airflow and increase case temps.

The shroud directs the airflow from the fan over the ram and heat sinks on the card, and then exhausts the hot air out the back of the case. I seriously doubt removing it is going to be beneficial. But you could try it, and report the outcome back to us. Would be curious to see what happens, never heard of anyone actually doing it.

I'm not sure of the fan on your gpu, but if it's like mine (5850) it uses a centrifugal fan. Basically air comes in the middle, and it flings it outward. Having a cover creates the proper air flow channel to direct the air through the heat sink and out the back. With no cover, it would just fling air outward and very, very little of it would pass through the heat sink so it would be passively cooled, and get a lot hotter. Just be happy that the case stays cool and therefor the gpu is sucking in cooler air.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I hit 65c with the fan 100% playing bad company 2. That's with my overclocked setting. If I leave the fan on auto I could hit 78-80c

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

What are you overclocking to? I'm at 743/1534/1189 at the moment. What program are you using to monitor? I'm using rivatuner.

???? 45C is shocking to me, that is insanely low, most high end GPU's would be lucky to idle at that temperature.
70-80c is more what I would consider normal after an hour of playing under a decent load, with good, not great, but good cooling.

I agree. While I have a diff card (5850) it idles at stock 42C, with the OC around 51C. Stock burn test temps are around 70C while OC temps get up to 78C. Gaming with max OC it's never gone above 62C (Crysis, High, 4xAA)

TRENDING THREADS