OS on SSD and games on SSD?

dylanpc

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hi. I am building a new computer, and I bought a 64 gb SSD drive and a 500gb hard drive. I want to know how I will be able to load my OS (Win. 7) directly on to my SSD when I get it, and also, I want to know what I should do when it comes to keeping games on my SSD. I'm kind of new to this kind of thing, so please all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Number 1 thing when using an SSD is to never do a full format, quick format only. Just install the drive into your PC and do a normal windows install. The full Win 7 installation will take about 20GB. That doesn't leave alot of room for other stuff. I generally turn off UAC and move my system cache to another drive to save space. That should bring you down to less than 15GB.

With a small drive like 60GB, I would only install the most used game for the moment and of course and photo editing, browser, office programs and the like. Data files I would keep on a data drive; pictures, movies, photos and other stuff that takes up lots of space.

Visit OCZ's forums for tips on how to use your SSD efficiently and pare windows down to manageable levels.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Buzz, are SSD's useful for windows and all drivers (using a higer capacity SSD)? Newer HDD's like SATA III? Any performance gain over SATA II's? I have a Velociraptor for Windows (Vista) and drivers and keep my games on WD Caviar Black SATA II. Ive had my HDD's for 2 1/2 yrs. Im thinking, if they are good, leave em alone but I got the upgrade itch lol. I would like to upgrade to W7 but wish it wasn't $200!