CPU Fan and i7 930 Question

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • Thermal Compound
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 17, 2010 5:30:00 AM

I built my new gaming rig about 4 months ago. It has an i7 930, 6 gigs of ram, and its in an antec 1200 case(6 fans), 750w power supply. The cpu is using the stock fan/heatsink, and thermal compound. I recently bought the coolermaster hyper 212 plus and arctic silver 5 thermal compound. I am unsure how to change everything though.

My current temps with chrome, skype, msn, and teamspeak running.

My I7 930 is running at stock 2.8ghz

Gpu: 42c
CPU: 39c (I think this temp is the cpu)
Core 0: 41c
Core 1: 39c
Core 2: 43c
Core 3: 39c

Case temperature is around 44c, my room should be around 75 or so degrees Fahrenheit.

My questions are: Are these temperatures alright? Should I add the Coolermaster fan? If yes, How do I apply the thermal paste? I'm new to this and had somebody apply it for me last time. And any details or anything would be very helpful and I'll answer any questions.

More about : cpu fan 930 question

a c 231 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 5:43:33 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258023-29-installing-...

That will walk you through the installation of the Hyper 212+, there is a link to a guide on thermal paste application at the right spot in the guide. The Hyper 212+ is unlikely to make a notable difference in your idle temps but it should affect your load temps fairly significantly and keep it quite a bit cooler.
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:41:01 PM

I want a rig that can support me with some upgrades for 4-5 years. And I also would probably do something wrong putting a new cooler in. But, if I do put a new cooler in, I want it to be a good one. So how good exactly is this? It got some good reviews, but it's hard to install. Should I get a megahalems? Or could the hyper 212 help me run game such as arma? Reason I'm not OCing is because I plan on keeping this cpu for the duration of my computer. I plan on getting a 470 soon too as well so it's either the 470 or a new fan. I have the hyper 212 already.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 2:44:39 PM

For stock there's no reason to buy an aftermarket cooler, it is not going to help performance, and the "life-extension" would be barely noticeable as the processor is going to work for a decent 8 years regardless.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 2:49:12 PM

+1 for the stock cooler for a non-overclocked system.
You can probably sell the CM Hyper 212 to help pay for the GTX 470.

Why did you choose the GTX 470 over the GTX 460?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 2:53:48 PM

n94cd said:
But, if I do put a new cooler in, I want it to be a good one. So how good exactly is this?
If you do plan on adding an aftermarket CPU cooler going for the more expensive Megahalems doesn't get you any really significant advantage over the CM Hyper 212, which is a very good cooler.
There are a few CPU cooler installation videos out on YouTube. Watching a few of those might give you a better idea on what's involved and help you decide if you want to go ahead and put that CM Hyper 212 to good use.
Hyper 212 Plus Installation Video
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:02:20 PM

Well, a few things that are difficult for me is some people grinded the heatsink to make it even and the thermal paste application is a bit difficult which that video does not include. I did find one guide that is pretty useful though. Worst case scenario, I don't apply it correctly, would my cpu get fried or could i a reapply it? I know somebody that could probably help me but I'd have to wait a month or two. And I did read in several places that the i7 stock fan and kill atleast 25% of the cpu's power after moderate gaming use.

And I picked the 470 because after selling my current 9800GTX, I can get it for about $220. Why do you prefer the 460?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 3:10:29 PM

How to Apply Thermal Compound to a CPU

Not likely you'd damage the CPU unless you drop the cooler on it, or something like that.
The Arctic Silver 5 is electrically conductive, so you want to be careful not to let any go someplace it shouldnt be.

Can you find the link to that "kill at least 25% of the cpu's power after moderate gaming use" article? 'Cause that is just flat wrong.

What is the resolution of your monitor? The GTX 460 is less expensive and uses less power.
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:18:03 PM

WR2 said:
How to Apply Thermal Compound to a CPU

Not likely you'd damage the CPU unless you drop the cooler on it, or something like that.
The Arctic Silver 5 is electrically conductive, so you want to be careful not to let any go someplace it shouldnt be.

Can you find the link to that "kill at least 25% of the cpu's power after moderate gaming use" article? 'Cause that is just flat wrong.

What is the resolution of your monitor? The GTX 460 is less expensive and uses less power.

1280x1024 lol. It's a 2005 Viewsonic LCD monitor. Well the other day, Someone told me that using the stock fan on the i7 will kill your computer in 8 months and said that halfway through that, you lose about 50% of the power on it. I think he exaggerated a lot now but I did find another unreliable link(yahoo answers) saying that you lose 25% of power but he might just mean your watts when you over clock. Are my temperatures alright though? I mean I have an antec 1200 so I thought the temps would be alot lower.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 3:27:27 PM

The GTX is more powerful than the GTX 460 - but even with a larger monitor the GTX 460 should get the job done nicely.
Here are a bunch of different games benchmarked at different resolutions where you can compare the GTX 460 and GTX 470
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:32:09 PM

WR2 said:
The GTX is more powerful than the GTX 460 - but even with a larger monitor the GTX 460 should get the job done nicely.
Here are a bunch of different games benchmarked at different resolutions where you can compare the GTX 460 and GTX 470

In cases like Arma though, FPS is critical. I only get about 30fps in arma with my current rig on very high with anti aliasing off. How good are my current cpu temps?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 3:44:28 PM

Very good temps for the light workload you listed.
What are the temps running ARMA?

You probably noticed how much better the GTX 460 was compared to the GTS 250 which would be close to your 9800GTX that is probably holding back your ARMA FPS.

m
l

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
August 17, 2010 7:48:10 PM

With a highest core temp of 62C under load your temps are in good shape. If you're reaching 72C for extended periods that's the point where it's time to look at more cooling options.

EVGA is always a good choice. SC2 and FSX will do really well with the GTX 460. I'm not familiar enough with N:TW performance to have an opinion.

It looks like ARMA2 is just one of those games that can hammer PC hardware into submission.
ARMA2 CPU benchmarks
ARMA2 GPU benchmarks - note the GTS 250 vs GTX 285 and compare to next benchmark
ARMA2 GTX 285 vx GTX 460
ARMA2 GTX 460 @ HardOCP
GTX 460 is still a nice performance boost from your 9800GTX
August 18, 2010 5:05:15 PM

Best answer selected by N94CD.
m
l
!