Sign in with
Your question

New corsair units getting rid of old favorites?

Last response: in Components

What do you think about the new corsair PSU line up?

Total: 12 votes (3 blank votes)

• Its corsair all their units are awesome!!!
  • 56 %
  • The new AX line up is amazing, the rest are good
  • 12 %
  • They are all overpriced!
  • 0 %
  • They were due for a refresh in the line up
  • 23 %
  • Most of their units are pretty good but none are spectacular
  • 12 %
a c 288 ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 5:31:55 AM

Went to newegg to grab the link for the 400CX and stumbled into an unfortunate surprise, its been discontinued, and is being replaced by an apparently inferior model, the CX430 which loses 2A on the 12V rail bringing it down to 28A, and it costs more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im a little disappointed that corsair would get rid of the 400CX that has been such a good value for a lower power unit and replace it with a weaker unit that seems like it should be more powerful. Im hoping that the addition of the GX series to their line up isnt going to give them a few crappier units that should be avoided, that will make things a bit more complicated. You can see the whole new line up at their site, what do you guys think of it?
http://www.corsair.com/products/power_supplies.aspx
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 6:22:20 AM

I just noticed the 430W has one year less of a warranty as well.

I haven't seen any reviews of the new units, so I'm not sure how good this is. I doubt 2A is really going to make a huge difference, though it certainly doesn't look like a good move so far.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 9:56:50 AM

I don't think it's too bad, 2 A isn't very significant. As for the price, originally it seems the Corsair CX400 was actually $64.99, and newegg lowered it to $49.99. The CX430 starts off at $49.99, and the CX400 is only cheaper because of the rebate. I'm just thinking that with the product being new and all they haven't started a rebates program with the CX430 PSUs yet. It might be cheaper later on, although the one year less warranty is a concern with regards to quality.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 10:14:46 AM

Their prices are high i would admit that. But no doubt they make wonderful PSU's. In the PSU world, i guess no name has claimed more recognition than Corsair.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 12:31:21 PM

It's very soon to speak about the quality of the new CX series units since there is no reviews yet. It seems that Corsair has decided not to renew the contract with Seasonic for manufacturing the CX400. It seems that CWT is the chosen builder for manufacturing its new low-end PSUs. Therefore the CX430 is made by CWT, and the CX500 and CX600 models may be from CWT too.
Concerning GS series PSUs, all these units are also from CWT. Sometime ago ITO CP made an interesting review about the 600W model. It's an overall decent unit. Anyway, it's far for being the best PSU you can buy from Corsair.

You can find it here: http://personales.ya.com/realhardtechx/index_archivos/P...
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 7:37:10 PM

Crap. I really like the 400CX. Maybe I should buy a couple wherever I can find them - just in case.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 7:38:26 PM

the 430CX isn't 80PLUS rated either..
Get the CX400 while you can..
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 8:56:54 PM

Maybe its coming? It is ">80%", so perhaps they/we are still waiting for the cert? If it isn't then its really starting to look like a hog. 1yr less warranty, 2 less amps, lower efficiency. There has to be something better about it. Right? Somewhere?

Still like to see some reviews. Not much to like about this PSU at the moment.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 8:58:20 PM

4745454b said:
Maybe its coming? It is ">80%", so perhaps they/we are still waiting for the cert? If it isn't then its really starting to look like a hog. 1yr less warranty, 2 less amps, lower efficiency. There has to be something better about it. Right? Somewhere?

Still like to see some reviews. Not much to like about this PSU at the moment.

The product description says: "Up to 80% energy efficiency means less heat generation and lower energy bills."
:bounce: 
"
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 17, 2010 9:02:32 PM

In this case boo on corsair. This has to be the first time I can think of where a new product comes out and its worse in every way compared to the previous gen. Sure 430 > 400, but not at the cost of the 12V rail. (28 < 30)

The 400W was 360W on the 12V rail leaving you with 40W for the 3.3 and 5V rails. The new 430 is 336W leaving you with nearly 100W on the 3.3 and 5V rails. Why make such a large increase? Should have left it at 360W and 70W for the other rails. Would have made more sense.
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 7:30:17 AM

Timop said:
The product description says: "Up to 80% energy efficiency means less heat generation and lower energy bills."

I have never liked to see the words "Up to ... " in ad copy. 37% is "up to 80%".

I have no problem with Corsair introducing a premium line (the AX series) of PSU's. At any given power level, they used to have 2 lines, one with and one without modular cables.

Now? At the upper end, there seems to be the AX :bounce:  , the standard TX, the modular HX, and the GS. And the 430CX seems to be a step backwards.

a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 7:55:22 AM

Does the change of manufacturer have anything to do with it?
Seasonic make great PSU's for themselves and others as well. But don't know much about CWT.

Whatever it is, don't get CX430!
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 8:02:04 AM

So now the line is AX>HX>TX>GS>VX>CX?

Don't see what they should have switched unless it meant more profit...
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 9:30:11 AM

CWT is ok. They make the 750W that everyone loved so much so they aren't horrible. Much better then Deer or Allied, but not as good as Seasonic or PCP&C of old. I've always considered them like FSP.
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 2:58:59 PM

CWT knows how to make high quality products. I'm not worried about it.
Yes, It seems that Corsair has definetely changed its policy with Seasonic.
The TX650 model which was made by Seasonic (CMPSU-650TX) is going to be replaced by a new TX650 model from CWT (CMPSU-650TX-C), which is already listed in newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

It won't be a surprise if the VX450 (by Seasonic) also dissapears (and probably the VX550 too) leaving the CX, GS, TX, HX and AX series on the market. We will see what happens in the next months...
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 3:16:09 PM

I guess CWT offered to do it for cheap. That's why they picked up the new contract. Or Seasonic moved away as they are quite up there on their own!
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2010 3:22:10 PM

Seasonic makes the new AX series so I doubt CWT is going to take over completely. Though Seasonic really haven't introduced any new designs other than the X-line expansion, so that could be why Corsair switched.

Though I really don't get the placement of the CX VX and GS series, looks like overlapping products wit different names.
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 6:04:46 PM

newegg is out of the 400CX. They don't say that it is discontinued yet, but ...

I just bought two from amazon. :D 

I keep hoping that Corsair doesn't do anything to degrade their reliability. I mean, basic marketing - it's always easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new one.

I'd like to see the Corsair rep with the bearded avatar sign in on this.
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 11:10:20 PM

his name is XMSYellowbeard btw :)  lol

@jsc. please check ur pms. thnx!
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 5:30:11 AM

I had forgotten his name.
a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 10:35:46 AM

Corsair claims that the "-C" version is slightly better than the original one in just about every way.
It was not solely a cost decision, as suspected, there were other concerns as well. It seems that Corsair is moving toward CWT as OEM. There are still a good number of Seasonic models, but the new players, only the AX750 and the AX850 are from Seasonic.

a c 92 ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 11:32:13 AM

Got to love the marketing dept of a company. Release a new product thats worse in every way then the old one and they still call it "better". I bet they claim that because it has 30W more then the old one.
a c 165 ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 12:57:34 PM

i have a corsair (CWT) unit. the fan runs silent, the power is steady, and its efficient. runs just as well as my last PSU, a PC Power & Cooling (seasonic)
!