I recently purchased the following computer and built it myself:

Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case Black
i7-930
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
XFX 5970 Black Edition
ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX
2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB in RAID
G.SKILL F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI Pi Series 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL6-8-6-20

I am running in 1900x1200 resolution, nothing is overclocked yet. My GPU fan is running at 50% currently.

For the amount of money I spent on this, it just does not seem to perform as well as I thought it would.

I have only tested it with Dragon Age and WoW, I even have some minor stuttering on Ultra in WoW with this setup, I was under the impression it would not be phased at all by WoWs graphics.

Dragon Age is mostly fine, but at times it can be choppy as well. I have it on high settings without AA.

It also seems like the 'lag' happens over time, and something triggers it. Shortly after boot it feels as if the computer performs at 100%, then a couple hours later it feels like it is only doing 75%.

Hard to explain when I am not that technical, but could someone direct me to a way to test the system? Something to test each part and see what (if there is one) the problem is. The only thing I have done is memtest, and it ran overnight without a problem.

What score should I be getting on 3dMark06/Vantage? That would probably tell me a lot of information.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Sounds like a memory leak. Run memtest and see what it comes up with.

The biggest indicator in my mind, is that it gets progressively worse over time.

Also bring up task manager and compare memory usage at start with WoW running compared to memory usage while it's stuttering. If it's significantly higher in usage without any additional programs running, there is a memory issue.

And you are correct, your build should demolish WoW

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Are you sure its not your PSU for the fact you said its not doing it when it starts up, but after everything gets going, so what it might be is that when your hardware starts taking up power your current is getting cut off.

I had almost this same thing happen with my 2 GTS 250's in SLi and found out it was my power supply, so you might to check it.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I looked up your system and you should be needing a constant current of 725Watts to be safe.

As for that 3dmark score heres something similar:

Graphics Score: 26564 for the XFX 5970 Black Edition
CPU Score: 28198 for the Intel Core i7 930

I hope those scores can help you out. Those score are from 3dmark Vantage!:)

Vinceisg0d

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
One test before I sleep, 3dMark Vantage on default settings.

Overall: 21101
GPU: 22244
CPU: 18282

GPU Test #1: 65.14 FPS
GPU Test #2: 65.18 FPS

CPU Test #1: 2549.83
CPU Test #2: 23.73

Feature Test #1: 105.65
#2: 12.63
#3: 95.52
#4: 30.75
#5: 51.72
#6: 282.44

cmcghee358

Distinguished

725 Watts? I ran his specs through the Extreme Power Supply calcualtor website and got:

Minimum PSU Wattage: 471 W
Recommended
PSU Wattage: 521 W

Also the 5970's TDP is: 300W.

Nothing on his system will come close to needing another 450W. So I'm not sure where your 725 Watt number is coming from but his PSU Wattage is fine. Now the PSU "could" be failing, even Corsair will fail sometimes, but I really don't think it's a PSU issue.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Possibly not the same amount/speed of RAM that was used on the 3dmark scores I gave you.

Also possibly not the same Hard Drive speeds as you have, I mean I would figure 7200RPM is the most common. :sweat:

Vinceisg0d

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
What reports should I be doing on Sandra? I can post whatever is needed. I just want to get my computer working the way it should. =[

EDIT:

I've had two occurences so far that have halted my system.

The first, I had WoW open in the background while playing Dragon Age. My screen flickered and came back on, stating my GPU had stopped and restarted. After that happened, I had the following artifacts (?) on my screen: (Edited out names)

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8329/artifacts.jpg

Another problem occured just a moment ago. I had Dragon Age open and nothing else. My computer just shut down, no warning, just complete shut down. I rebooted and it felt as if the Video Card was extremely hot, so that is likely what happened.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Your GPU driver stopped responding possibly because of resolution and as far as your computer shutting down its because the BIOS default is set to shut down when TEMPS hit a certin degree.

Well I'm not sure about other hardware stress testers, but you might want to try to google other reliable software.

Well I'm going to look into this further for you..

gofasterstripes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I agree with shanemarines,

and I think all of the symptoms sound like the video card or [perhaps] the CPU overheating. SANDRA might be of use to you because it will allow you to briefly stress parts in isolation [or thereabouts], and also to compare scores with other users of the same hardware.

Give it a spin, just make sure your PC isn't doing anything else in the background which might interfere or be damaged by a crash.

If SiSoftSANDRA doesn't help, try using Prime95 to stress the CPU and Furmark for the GPU, [not at the same time ;) ]

If still no luck, report back I guess.

gofasterstripes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Having said that - I'd suggest you keep things as simple as possible and eliminate options one by one.

Firstly shut down and check all connections and fittings, look for poor molex insertions and PCIE ones too, look for shorts and things being twisted by poor mountings. Check your CPU cooler and such. Remove anything you don't need [lights, multi-card reader - anything]

Jot down all your bios settings, reload failsafe settings, reload optimized settings reboot and start testing one thing at a time. Overclocking and tinkering at this point will make it very hard for you to eliminate things.

Start testing again, and aim to eliminate one component at a time.

Regards

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Check my links:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1304-order,1-c,downloads/files.html

http://cpuid.com/

http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html#stress

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=92

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for (any!) problems that may happen while following my instructions.

Please try the following:

Post all your results.

Thank you and I really hope were getting close to a solution for you Vinceisg0d.:)