Upgrading an older pc

ST86

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ Brisbane 2.51GHz 65nm
Mobo: Asus m2n SLI deluxe
GPU: XFX 8600GT XXX 256mb
Memory: 2GBs

I originally built this computer on a budget for general use as well as playing counter-strike 1.6 and WoW, which it did wonderfully.

However, Ive recently started playing BF: BC2. Although the game is quite playable, I have frame lag, especially during firefights at medium to low settings.

I know I'm a bit outdated, but I wanted to know how much of a difference a newer video card would make. Would my CPU bottleneck a PCIe 2.0 card too much?

I don't think that the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ would bottleneck your graphics card too much. Depending on your budget, I suggest you upgrade to a Radeon HD 5750 - equivalent to a GeForce GTS 250, aka a 9800GTX+, which is more than twice as powerful as your 8600GT, possibly three times.

If you want to max BFBC2 at decent resolutions, then you'd need something like an HD 5850 at least.

actually, the board supports the phenom II's now (BIOS 5001)

i was surprised as well when i saw it (i have 2 friends with this same board), and even before that bios the Phenom II's worked in the board with the bios before that one (unofficially of course)

though it says limited cpu support, only allows up to the 945 which i think is weird, since the board can handle 125w TDP processors

ST86

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Wow ... you guys are awesome, I've never gotten so many useful responses from any other tech forum.

I have a 500watt psu. And if by native resolution you mean the resolution I use for my desktop, its 1280x1024. Sorry that info I left that out.

If I had a budget of $120, what cards do you guys recommend? (I dont NEED to max out BC2, just want more smoothness) Also, since hearing that my mobo -luckily- supports a newer bios, should I upgrade my CPU?

Thanks in advance!

sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I'd get an athlon II x3 435 or athlon II x3 440, depending on whether or not oem is ok for you. Or, just go for a athlon II 635 since it is at good price right now. 8600 gt? That is not bad, what res do you play at? Getting 4GB of RAM would take priority I think.

Prices from Newegg

The best choices for a card in that price area are the HD5750 and HD4850. The HD5750 is about 5-10% faster, much more power efficient and DX11 compatible but it is also costs $20-30 more. Both should be great for your resolution.
Upgrading the CPU is something you definitely should do but if you can't afford both right now the card is probably what you should get first. Your CPU will hold you back some but not nearly as much as that 8600GT.