Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Compares multi core CPUs with scientific softwares

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2010 7:45:28 AM

Now a day, a lot of scientific softwares(like Fluent and Ansys) use parallel processing to accelerate their computations.
It is cheap and also possible to use multi core CPUs to enable parallel processing in those softwares.
Now a question is “which CPU is better in the same price: as for example Intel i920(4 Cores) or Amd Phenom II X6 (6 Cores) for those softwares when parallel processing is enabled?”
My email: Noghrehabadi@yahoo.com

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 8:08:32 AM

1095T would definitely have the advantage when the multi core comes into play. But the i7 wont be far behind because of the HT and Turbo Boost, its pure muscle when comes to processing. The i7 has 4 cores alright and 8 threads. Don't know how many cores can the softwares you mentioned utilize fully. That would be a factor in deciding which proccy to go for. So i would say the Thuban on this one.

You can think about the Gulftowns but they ridiculously high priced!
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 9:33:21 AM

The Phenom II X6 will be faster, unless the programs that you plan to use are able to use Hyper-Threading, if it does the Core i7 920 will be the faster.
Related resources
August 17, 2010 6:44:04 PM

It can also depend on how memory intensive those applications are. I think the i7 has more memory bandwidth, and in such workloads, hyperthreading can perform much more like a real core
September 4, 2010 2:22:24 PM

as I know, for example Fluent can use 4, 6 or more cores
September 11, 2010 2:35:13 PM

Best answer selected by noghrehabadi.
September 11, 2010 2:36:04 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
1095T would definitely have the advantage when the multi core comes into play. But the i7 wont be far behind because of the HT and Turbo Boost, its pure muscle when comes to processing. The i7 has 4 cores alright and 8 threads. Don't know how many cores can the softwares you mentioned utilize fully. That would be a factor in deciding which proccy to go for. So i would say the Thuban on this one.

You can think about the Gulftowns but they ridiculously high priced!

as I know, for example Fluent can use 4, 6 or more cores
!