Solved

Did I just bottleneck my GPU with my CPU?

I just purchased my first computer to assemble myself, put a lot of time into finding what I thought I wanted and what would fit my budget. I just came across the article here on building a well balanced setup that doesn't bottleneck anywhere. My question is relatively simple, I bought a i5 760 processor and a GTX 460 1gig GPU. In your opinion, is the 460 gonna be dishing out more than the i5 can handle? Did I overdo it with the 460 card or am I just paranoid?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bottleneck
  1. No reason to worry about.. The i5 760 is a powerful CPU.. It'll probably drive the GTX 460 at its stock speed itself.. Anytime you feel any bottlenecks, just overclock it to your satisfaction levels..
  2. Best answer
    Well, it depends. If you run your games at a monitor with the resolution 1280x1020 or less*, you might see a bottleneck, and this is because the lower the resolution, the less is demanded out of your GPU and the more your difference in FPS-rate relies on your CPU. I.e. if you run a monitor with e.g. 1680x1050 (this is a very common resolution) I wouldn't think that you would experience any kind of bottleneck.

If you're still worried, or by any chance still think you experience a bottleneck, I would suggest that you exchange that stock cooler with a Corsair H50 or H70 and overclock the hell out of your CPU. You can come back here and look up a guide if that's a problem ;)

Edit* At lower resolutions you wouldn't notice the bottleneck if you didn't look for it, your FPS will be sky-high anyway.
  3. huh. Well, this is silly. Everyone seems to be all excited about bottlenecking lately. The core i5 with the GTX 460 is a good match, seems perfectly balanced to me. Stop worrying and have fun.
  4. Sweet, so it was just me being paranoid, just after such an expensive purchase (for me, I'm a student who works retail, not exactly rich) I was starting to get really paranoid, but thanks for letting me know.

And just fyi, I'll be running 1920*1080 most likely, so I think i'll be happy :D
  5. Best answer selected by Jack_Cookie.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Bottleneck Components