Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help with First Build ~ 2 samples

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2010 10:41:33 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week (the closer the better)
BUDGET RANGE: $2,000 - $2,500 After Rebates, if applicable

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am interested in the i7 series of processors

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, however, not entirely comfortable with doing this.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: my current monitor goes up to 1680x1050...would like to keep this monitor unless absolutely necessary to change it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The second build I am showing below has a motherboard with a required BIOS update. I don't know how to do this, so that would be helpful to know as well.

Thank you for reading...

I have two system builds that I put together. This is my very first computer build and I would like some advice on which to pick (or suggestions on what is best):

The first build I got from reading and choosing @ Homebuilt PC Buying Guide

Here is the first build I am considering:

i7-860

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2GB)

XFX Radeon HD 5870

Intel x25-m(80GB)

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Antec TP-750

Cooler Master HAF 932

Pioneer Black 12x BD-R

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

The second build I got from reading @ Recommended Builds by Usage with a minor change in ODD.

Enthusiast - Extreme: $2,189.88 (Thanks for the RAM feedback... saint19) Updated
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80601930 - Retail
  • MOBO: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail ***
  • RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998805 - Retail
  • HSF: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
  • SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGT100G 2.5" 100GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • HDD: SAMUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
  • GPU: XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
  • PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ... - Retail
  • Here is the only change I made to this build: DVD: Pioneer Black 12x BD-R
  • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
  • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
    This build will allow you to play games at max settings at a monitor resolution of 1920x1200 or higher...
    Not sure how to do this:*** = Motherboard will require latest BIOS, as of 2/25/10 (Version 0703 or Higher)

So I really need some help in choosing and I appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.
  • More about : build samples

Best solution

a b C Monitor
    June 17, 2010 10:51:46 PM

Recommendations...

First Build with these changes...

CPU: Intel i5-750 - A gaming build doesn't need more than a i5-750 or does any of your uses.

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro.

GPU: ATI 5850 - The 5870 is too much power for your resolution. I would stick with the 5850.

Case: HAF 922

As for my comment on the Motherboard in the second build, I'm confident the current motherboards are coming out with the current BIOS, so I'll plan on removing that statement on my next update! It was put there when the i7 930 was first released and I just forgot to remove after all of this time.
    June 18, 2010 8:57:16 AM

The Intel SSD is cheaper and has the one of the best Random read/write speeds, which matters most in real world situations.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b C Monitor
    June 18, 2010 3:17:54 PM

+1 tecmo34 for his mobo and case recommendation on build one.
    m
    l
    June 18, 2010 3:59:30 PM

Thank you for your recommendations. So with this in mind, I have changed to the following build:

CPU: i5-750

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2GB)

GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity (Is this the right one?)

SSD: Intel x25-m(80GB)

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

PSU: Antec TP-750

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

BR-D: Pioneer Black 12x BD-R

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

So is this a complete build? I would also like to know what I should buy to hook my system up to my cable. My current system has a cable connection. I just get basic cable on it, through MS Media Center. Sometimes I like to record shows that come on. What do you recommend for this?

Also, what toolkit, or tools should I purchase so that I can put this system together?

Thanks for your help. I am hoping to purchase my build this weekend. Any comments or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Recommendations...

First Build with these changes...

CPU: Intel i5-750 - A gaming build doesn't need more than a i5-750 or does any of your uses.

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro.

GPU: ATI 5850 - The 5870 is too much power for your resolution. I would stick with the 5850.

Case: HAF 922

m
    l
    June 20, 2010 1:37:08 PM

Best answer selected by techwhat.
    m
    l
    a b C Monitor
    June 20, 2010 4:37:20 PM

techwhat said:
    So is this a complete build? I would also like to know what I should buy to hook my system up to my cable. My current system has a cable connection. I just get basic cable on it, through MS Media Center. Sometimes I like to record shows that come on. What do you recommend for this?

Also, what toolkit, or tools should I purchase so that I can put this system together?

Thanks for your help. I am hoping to purchase my build this weekend. Any comments or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the best answer nod!!

To answer the rest of your questions!!

1) Your build looks complete, as far as I see

2) Your motherboard comes with most of your cables. You can use your SATA III cable for one of your drives or pickup a this cable... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .

3) For a TV tuner... I would go with this one... Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner PCI w/Remote 1199 PCI Interface

4) You don't really need a toolkit... All you need is a phillips screw driver and a niddle-nose pliars. If you want to purchase one... I would purchase this one (Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit
    m
    l
    !