Gigabyte 5870 issues, should I return?

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I recently bought the new Gigabyte 5870 Radeon (the one with the dual fans). On day one it crashed in games, but I upgraded the bios to FN6, however now randomly in game, or just watching a movie, the screen does this split second grey line or flash, is this bad? It doesn't crash but it's pretty annoying and for a 400$ card I shouldn't be getting these problems. Also, my 5870 whines a lot...I've heard it's the "coils" and that you can put nail polish on them and it quiets them down? Any truth to this? Thanks!

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Update* Right before I was about to take the video card back I noticed today, 5/11/2010, Gigabyte updated the bios (F7) so far after installing....no random flickers or pauses, seems pretty stable...the only issue now is the "coils" making noise which apparently it's a 80% chance you get that issue with any graphic card, so I'll just apply that clear nail polish trick which apparently cuts out the electrical "hum" they generate under load, has anyone else done this yet here? Thanks!

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, I returned it yesterday, the bios got my hopes up but an hour later it started crashing again, returning the Gigabyte and ordering a 2gb Sapphire Vapor-X 5870, I figure they have higher quality ones and since they have more customers, have a better bios setup.

TRENDING THREADS