Default cmd prompt

I recently installed a resource kit for XP and it changed my default command
prompt directory. Rather than copying ping.exe or ipconfig.ext etc. to the
new default home drive I want my command prompt start on my C drive like
before. Now when I need to ping something or run other commands I keep
having to C: and then CD c:\winnt\system32. Can anyone let me know where to
go to correct this? I'm not having much luck searching this topic so
hopefully there's a quick fix. Thanks,
Shawn
3 answers Last reply
More about default prompt

    Try this...

    Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
    Paste this in the location box:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

    Click Next | Click Finish |

    Right click the new cmd.exe shortcut | Properties |
    In the Start in box replace %windir% with C:\ |
    Apply | OK

    Double click the new shortcut and you should see.............

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\>

    You can also change the Start in for the cmd shortcut located under
    Accessories on the Start Menu.

    HOW TO: Set the Command Processor Appearance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309019

    Set the Command prompt default path to a certain directory
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoruncmd.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2A1A7095-F51C-44FE-ADC5-0BC2D8533521@microsoft.com,
    Shawn McGowen <ShawnMcGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Shawn McGowen wrote:
    > I recently installed a resource kit for XP and it changed my default
    > command prompt directory. Rather than copying ping.exe or
    > ipconfig.ext etc. to the new default home drive I want my command
    > prompt start on my C drive like before. Now when I need to ping
    > something or run other commands I keep having to C: and then CD
    > c:\winnt\system32. Can anyone let me know where to go to correct
    > this? I'm not having much luck searching this topic so hopefully
    > there's a quick fix. Thanks, Shawn
    ping.exe and other programs in /system32 can be run from any folder. For
    example, if you are currently inside 'C:\My Folder' and type program.exe
    (or just 'program') Windows will first search C:\My Folder for that
    application, if it's not there it will search inside \system32 and try
    to execute it.

    "Shawn McGowen" <ShawnMcGowen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed a resource kit for XP and it changed my default
    >command
    > prompt directory. Rather than copying ping.exe or ipconfig.ext etc. to
    > the
    > new default home drive I want my command prompt start on my C drive like
    > before. Now when I need to ping something or run other commands I keep
    > having to C: and then CD c:\winnt\system32. Can anyone let me know where
    > go to correct this? I'm not having much luck searching this topic so
    > hopefully there's a quick fix. Thanks,
    > Shawn

    Shawn,

    Many of the 'system' commands can be run no matter what your 'current
    directory' assignment is.

    For the ones that need to be run from a specific directory there are is a
    nice method that involves setting some stuff in the registry.
    It's called 'Command here' or 'Command prompt here' (or something to that
    effect.
    Once set, it gives you the option to right-click on any folder in Explorer
    and choose Command here.
    It will then open up the command prompt with that particular directory as
    the current one.

    Copy the below stuff into a file and name it cmdhere.inf.
    right-click the file and choose 'install'.
    Right-click a folder to see the result.
    hth
    george

    ; ----------------------------------
    ; "CMD Prompt Here" PowerToy
    ;
    ; Copyright 1996 Microsoft Corporation
    ;
    [version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"

    [CmdHereInstall]
    CopyFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    AddReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [DefaultInstall]
    CopyFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    AddReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [DefaultUnInstall]
    DelFiles = CmdHere.Files.Inf
    DelReg = CmdHere.Reg

    [SourceDisksNames]
    55="CMD Prompt Here","",1

    [SourceDisksFiles]
    CmdHere.INF=55

    [DestinationDirs]
    CmdHere.Files.Inf = 17

    [CmdHere.Files.Inf]
    CmdHere.INF

    [CmdHere.Reg]
    HKLM,%UDHERE%,DisplayName,,"%CmdHereName%"
    HKLM,%UDHERE%,UninstallString,,"rundll32.exe
    syssetup.dll,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultUninstall 132
    %17%\CmdHere.inf"
    HKCR,Directory\Shell\CmdHere,,,"%CmdHereAccel%"
    HKCR,Directory\Shell\CmdHere\command,,,"%11%\cmd.exe /k cd ""%1"""
    HKCR,Drive\Shell\CmdHere,,,"%CmdHereAccel%"
    HKCR,Drive\Shell\CmdHere\command,,,"%11%\cmd.exe /k cd ""%1"""

    [Strings]
    CmdHereName="CMD Prompt Here"
    CmdHereAccel="CMD &Prompt Here"
    UDHERE="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CmdHere"

Configuration Default Command Prompt Windows XP