Computer Freezing, New Info, Last Try, Help!!!!

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Computer was custom ordered based on input from T.H.F., from Ibuypower. This could be a warranty issue but I'd rather not deal with them anymore.

My computer is freezing randomly. Temp doesn't go above 50 celsius.
Windows 7
AMD Phenom II x4 955
Asus M4A78T-D AMD 790GX
Corsair 650w
Powercolor HD5570 1GB Video Card
500GB Sata-2 WD5000ks
[core i7-DDR3] 2GB DDR3 - 1600 GAMING SINGLE, two of them
30" Dell monitor. 24" monitor.

I've taken it to the shop. We've formatted and reinstalled windows. Upated the ram settings in Bios based on the Asus website. They system's been checked for any grounding outs. I can run Prime95 now, before I took it to the shop I couldn't. Memtest has been run several times, no errors.

I ran the system for 24 hours after back from the shop and it was fine, then it froze on me a few times in a row. Didn't want to restart. Froze during restart. Froze once up and running. Disabled the 30" and ran the 24" and plugged it in to a different wall outlet. Froze again. Restarted. Runing fine now for 5 hours. Wtf.

Something intermittent and tweaky. CPU,Ram,Power,GPU? Thoughts?

I work from my computer so this is bad. The last freezes arose when I wasn't doing much. Just moved the mouse around, no stress on the cpu. Computer ran fine all day on the 30" alone, hooked up the 24" at noon, ran fine for 3 hours, then the problems started that evening.

The pros at the computer shop don't know what to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

Which ATI driver version are you running? Versions below 10.2 had substantial problems with the video driver freezing on 5000 series GPUs.

What RAM do you have?
Did you set the RAM voltage and timing based on the RAM manufacturers specs? The problems you are having sound alot like what I was having before I got my cruddy OCZ RAM running stable, but you are running memtest fine so thats less likely.

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Ati version 10.5. I think the RAM is good as Memtest has passed on several occasions and the shop updated my Ram settings based on the Asus website.

In regards to the game freezing, I'm not playing games, just the screen itself freezing when just using windows or any random time. I've reformatted and reinstalled Win7 so I'm not sure how to address that concern?

So far today, no problems running the 24". I have a sneaking suspicion it is somehow related to running dual monitors. But it is not an instantaneous issue when running dual. Seems like the stress builds up or something... Could that be possible?

ASUS doesnt make RAM so they would not be the source for the RAMs bios settings.

ATI has 10.6 out. I am still running 10.3 since I had problems with 10.4 and backed it out.

Do you have a good, up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware running? If not then running a good one of each may find your problem.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

If its the dual monitors causing the problem then it has to be a driver failure. :eek:

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I don't see it as a windows issue as the computer would even freeze in the startup phases before windows enteres the screen.

Installing 10.6 now. No problems all day on the 24". Will give the new drivers an hour on here then hook up the 30"/unhook the 24".

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Well running 10.6 with the 30" for 24 hours problem free. I'm just going to run it like this without dual monitors, even though my work sufferers. Just feel like that will trigger the failure.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Sweet, so I'm thinking the driver would stop responding and causing your problems, it might also be your resolution I'm just glad the problems have stop for you and I'm glad I could help you out! :)

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
48 hours problem free. Worked all day running the 30". Then all of a sudden, with only two programs that I've had opened all day running, I had an instantaeous blue screen, a countdown of physical memory dump where the screen lasted for 2 seconds, a restart. I used the computer for 5 minutes after that and had my traditional problem - the screen freeze where the system has to be manually restarted. So the problem persists. Temps fine. Hard drive issue perhaps?

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Alright just happened again. Now computer won't turn on. Using iPhone. Light inside computer on, fans on. Won't boot up. Quiet. Normally I hear the hard drive, correct? Left it for awhile, unplugged it, nothing. Harddrive? Fakk.

gofasterstripes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
My seemingly random problems turned out to be caused by poor communication on one of the buses on my motherboard, I wonder if that could be your problem. That could be either a physical bad solder joint or a failing chipset or such.

Have you got a Linux CD? Maybe boot from one with your HDD power disconnected [to prevent damage when doing the following] and gently tap various parts of the computer's insides one at a time looking for a dodgy connection. Try this on all the things bits you can touch gently looking for a crash that is repeatable - you could have a failing solder joint on the board or a a bad socket or such.

Use anti-static precautions at all times and mind the fans!

I have not seen a HDD cause these problems before. No loose connections? Hdd should spin up even if the data is corrupt - it only wont if it's totally buggered or if the power is bad.

Running out of ideas, sorry.

I think your only other options are to see if you have any problems when running Linux [elimitates software if you don't] or to start swapping parts.

Crikey...

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

+1 I agree, I'm thinking PSU Problems, not harddrive. If I was you be looking into a bronze certified PSU. :)

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Well they pulled out he motherdrive, said the ram was set for 1600 and even though it's rated for that, it can't always handle it. So they turned it down to 1333. Apparently the heat sink material was dry or gone or something. Clean reinstall of Win7 (again). System is running fine for 48 hours. Then just now, froze up. Had to restart. Only had WinMessenger open and a program with Postgresql.

It still runs Prime95 over night fine, and passes memtests.

So *** is this thing every intermittent. Just start switching out components if it happens again?

Which component do I start with? The corsair?