Sata Optical drive to esata port on laptop.....Possible?

Hi,

I have a laptop that has no interal optical drive and I want to reformat the HD and install a fresh copy of Windows. I am trying to avoid having to buy and external drive just for this one operation. So I am wondering if there is anyway to use my internal optical drive in my desktop. The drive in question is this....

Drive

As you can see it is a SATA drive.

My desktop has one of this connected to it (all though I am not sure if it will help at all)....

eSata Braket

My thoughts are to keep the drive connected to the desktop psu and to disconnect the sata cable from the motherboard. Then use that cable and plug it into the eSata of the laptop. The problem is I don't know if you can simply do that sata to esata. Or if it is even safe and recommendable.

Regards

Chad
12 answers Last reply
More about sata optical drive esata port laptop possible
  1. That sounds complicated don't you have an eSata port? Also Sata plugs don't fit in eSata ports.
  2. Or you could get an enclosure.
  3. Userremoved said:
    That sounds complicated don't you have an eSata port? If yes just buy an eSata external DVD drive. Also Sata plugs don't fit in eSata ports.

I do have an eSata port but like I said I was trying to have to avoid buying a drive for the sake of a one time reformat. Hence I had no clue if it was even possible to do what I am asking.

Thanks

Chad
  4. You cant, eSATA doesn't provide any power and is physically incompatible with SATA connectors.

Though if you have a USB handy, you could simply ewrite the windows installation disk on to it and boot from that.
  5. Yes you could use a USB thumb drive with the disc burned onto it.
  6. Timop said:
    You cant, eSATA doesn't provide any power and is physically incompatible with SATA connectors.

Though if you have a USB handy, you could simply ewrite the windows installation disk on to it and boot from that.

Hmm...I actually have an old usb drive. Will it matter what USB protocall it is? I think it might be USB 1.0. Do you have a recommend link as who to perform this or am I safe using one of the many tutorials you find via google?

Thanks

Chad
  7. chadsxe said:
    Hmm...I actually have an old usb drive. Will it matter what USB protocall it is? I think it might be USB 1.0. Do you have a recommend link as who to perform this or am I safe using one of the many tutorials you find via google?

Thanks

Chad

This is a good guide: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/
    Though if your USB is 1.0, the installation would be a LONG and gruesome process.
  8. Ehh...the time is worth the 50+ dollars I would have to spend on an external drive. I was just worried there might be an issue.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will chime in after I try it.

Regards

Chad
  9. I would buy a cheap 8Gb USB 2 drive anyways after the installation you can reuse it (they cost like 10$).
  10. Userremoved said:
    I would buy a cheap 8Gb USB 2 drive anyways after the installation you can reuse it (they cost like 10$).

Thanks actually sounds like a good idea.

Thanks

Chad
  11. Does it have to be "Flash" (thumb stick) USB drive? I have one of....

These

Which I believe is basically an inclosed 2.5 drive that is connected via USB.

Regards

Chad
  12. Should be no difference between using a usb thumb drive or a USB HDD as long as you can access it during the boot process. The thumb drive you could make "bootable" while the External HDD you would probably have to "wipe it" to make it bootable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops SATA Desktops Optical Media Components