IIS problem playing video in XP Pro

February 23, 2005 6:41:01 PM

I have a web site that has links to a few .mpg video files.

When I just open the html file in IE and click the link, the video plays fine.

When the page is served by IIS, I get the following error:

"Windows media player cannot play this file. Connect to the internet or
insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play
the file again."

The pages and videos are located on a USB hard drive on the IIS server
machine as E:

This setup has worked fine on several other computers running IIS and
Windows 2000. I did not have to set MIME settings on these computers.

I even tried adding the MIME extensions on the IIS server HTTP page as
..mpg video\mpeg
..mpeg video\mpeg

This is a brand new Dell M60 Workstation laptop.

Versions of software being used:

IE 6.0
XP Pro SP2
IIS V5.1
WMP 9.0

It seems the MIME settings should have worked, but those should have been
standard default settings anyway.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:29:50 PM

You'll most likely get a more accurate answer if posted in one of the IIS
groups, but my having to guess, I'm guessing either the IIS lockdown tool
has been run or IIS security is setup to not allow IIS to serve any files
outside of its designated file system, which is normally c:\inetpub - you
may wish to check it out.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"