Your question

Need some advice about core2quad vs i5

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Intel i5
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2010 6:32:50 AM

Im already planning a new pc build... sometime before the end of the year, sooner than later though.

Being I game a lot and trying to build the baddest comp. for the $$, Im going to go with a i5 750 and overclock to around 4.0ghz, gtx 480 sli etc.....

Now, my current rig (specs in my sig) is going to be handed down to my brother who is currently gaming on a Dell Inspiron(spelling) with a Core 2 Duo at 3.00ghz, gts 250 512mb, 320gb HD. He's wanting to upgrade mine to current settings, i5/i7.. Ive talked him into an i5 mainly because its the best bang for the buck when it comes to gaming..... but, since he's on a budget, I was wondering....... i5 = 4 cores.... core 2 quad = 4 cores.... Whats the difference between the i5/i7 and a core2quad.

Ive been talking with him and thinking a good core 2 quad, OC to 4ghz with possible sli/Xfire would be strong for a while in the gaming world. Heck, mine's still running pretty damn good in games....

Which would be the best move, for a budget?

i5 upgrade = Motherboard, cpu, memory & cpu cooler. That's around $550-$600

Core 2 Quad = new cpu, motherboard (for xfire/sli) = $3xx and if he wants to go up to around $600, he could get two ATi 5770's in Xfire and come out right at $608. but if he goes i5, he'll have to stick with my single gtx 285

Also, would a good 650psu power 2 5770s?

More about : advice core2quad

June 18, 2010 7:32:08 AM

Seems like the i5 and quad are close.... with OC for both cpu's... still would be close and the quad upgrade would only cost half of what the i5 would...

The only con to the quad, is that the 775 socket is going away slowly and is "old" now. but how long will you be able to upgrade off the i5 platform without having to buy all new stuff.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2010 8:49:25 AM

Beitzel15 said:
Seems like the i5 and quad are close.... with OC for both cpu's... still would be close and the quad upgrade would only cost half of what the i5 would...

The only con to the quad, is that the 775 socket is going away slowly and is "old" now. but how long will you be able to upgrade off the i5 platform without having to buy all new stuff.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/04/12/new-so...

Just read the link above and it should give you a good idea, but just to place my 2 cents in there I would honestly go for the i3, i5 and i7 socket over the LGA 775 socket. :bounce: 
m
l
a c 85 B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2010 5:15:27 PM

The most cost effective thing to do for your brother is to take your old PC, say thanks, and use it as is. The GTX285 and E8500 are still very good.

Only if he has a 2560 x 1600 monitor, or plays multi core enabled games like FSX, does he really need more. With Sandy bridge coming around the end of the year, I would not invest much in updating a pc that is doing the job today.
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:12:40 PM

geofelt said:
The most cost effective thing to do for your brother is to take your old PC, say thanks, and use it as is. The GTX285 and E8500 are still very good.

Only if he has a 2560 x 1600 monitor, or plays multi core enabled games like FSX, does he really need more. With Sandy bridge coming around the end of the year, I would not invest much in updating a pc that is doing the job today.

+1 :) 
m
l
June 20, 2010 2:46:16 PM

get a core 2 quad and another gtx 285, that will tear apart any game, by next year the i5 will be as out of date as a core 2 quad
m
l
!