Help needed with PCMCIA modem

I have a 3Com (now USR) 3CXM556 modem that I cannot get installed on Win XP The
USR site has NT drivers which won't install, nothing for 2000 or XP for this
device. The modem shows up as a non functional PCMCIA Generic Device in Hardware
Manager, attempting to install it manually XP gives me no choices under Modem or
PCMCIA cards that are even close and I can't connect to the internet to search
for the "best driver" because my Network card uses both PCMCIA slots.

I just want to use this as a generic modem in the USA, don't care about the
card's cellular support. Anyone know or have any suggestions to get this working?

Thank you

Arn

PS: The machine is a dual boot XP-SP2 / Win 98, Dell 7000 PII 333, aging
gracefully!
3 answers Last reply
More about help needed pcmcia modem

    Have you tried installing it with "Hayes Compatible" drivers.

    Regards ... John

    On or about 10/24/2004 12:20 PM, it came to pass that John wrote:
    > Have you tried installing it with "Hayes Compatible" drivers.
    >
    > Regards ... John

    No

    When I attempted a manual install I received no choices under PCMCIA, but did
    install a 56K modem, but it did not work.

    Arn

    On or about 10/24/2004 11:34 AM, it came to pass that arnb wrote:
    > I have a 3Com (now USR) 3CXM556 modem that I cannot get installed on Win
    > XP The USR site has NT drivers which won't install, nothing for 2000 or
    > XP for this device. The modem shows up as a non functional PCMCIA
    > Generic Device in Hardware Manager, attempting to install it manually XP
    > gives me no choices under Modem or PCMCIA cards that are even close and
    > I can't connect to the internet to search for the "best driver" because
    > my Network card uses both PCMCIA slots.
    >
    > I just want to use this as a generic modem in the USA, don't care about
    > the card's cellular support. Anyone know or have any suggestions to get
    > this working?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Arn
    >
    > PS: The machine is a dual boot XP-SP2 / Win 98, Dell 7000 PII 333, aging
    > gracefully!
    Just discovered this.
    Seems the upper PCMCIA slot is bad. It works fine in the lower slot.
    Arn

PCMCIA Modem Windows XP Laptops