Windows 7 start up password cant remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

GARYD56K

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello, i inherited my brothers laptop a hp windows 7 and i cant ask him for the pass word because he died. is there any way i can recover it or change it?

Solution

If your late brother put a hint under his password entry box, you might guess at it from that. If he didn't do that and didn't make a password reset disk, you have no choice but to put another Operating System in over the top of Windows 7, wiping it out completely.

A decent Linux OS could be free of charge but Windows 7 could cost you about £80 in the UK - have a look at your local Amazon website.

If your late brother put a hint under his password entry box, you might guess at it from that. If he didn't do that and didn't make a password reset disk, you have no choice but to put another Operating System in over the top of Windows 7, wiping it out completely.

A decent Linux OS could be free of charge but Windows 7 could cost you about £80 in the UK - have a look at your local Amazon website.

Solution
I've recovered a few using Ophcrack before - Download the Live cd version burn it to a CD and then go into Bios to make sure the System boots from the CD drive first - shut down put the CD in and run it.

If that doesn't work probably will need to reformat\reinstall to get it working.

GARYD56K I'd try what saga lout pointed out and/or try to call the laptop manufacture and ask for a recovery copy disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.