Sign in with
Your question

Video Card BSOD not reading?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2010 7:00:30 PM

I recently within the last month built a budget build PC for my Mom's Boyfriend. Since then it has been giving him problems where it will start up and within a few minutes the screen will get a bunch of horrizontal lines and then BSOD and restart. I went down and thought perhaps the Video card was loose so I made sure it was seated properly and put a screw to secure it, instead of the case bar holder that is on the case. I then ran it for 12 hours one night and 3 to 4 the next day without issue. Now I just got a call that it started doing it again this time when he tried to start it up it went BSOD and then the monitor goes into Power Save mode like the computer is off. I fixed it Friday May 7th and ran it the 7th and 8th now it's having issues again. I'm now at a loss of if it is the MOB or Video card or something else causing this isssue. I need to know what to RMA and what I don't need to back to Newegg. I had one other problem with the MOB but I think it was with BIOS where it wouldn't read the onboard Network device and I had to use a Network card in the PCI slot. I also ran Windows Memory test on the RAM and through Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit which is what he bought and the Memory came back with no issues.

Parts are a Asrock A785GXH AMD Motherboard, the video card is a Gigabyte GV-R485ZL Radeon HD 4850
PSU Rosewill RG700, AMD Athlon x2 240 egor 2.8 ghz AM3 cpu, Wintec AMPX 4gb DDR2 SDRAM (2, 2gb sticks)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS HD SATA HD. Also cooler master case and Lite On Disk drive.

Any help I need to get whatever it is RMA'd quickly to be withtin the 30 days at Newegg, cmon all you smart people heh help me please!
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 1:26:45 AM

simple question, did you attached the 6pin power connector for your HD4850?
Make sure you install the right driver and the latest one...
m
l
May 12, 2010 10:23:55 AM

Yes I did attach the 6 pin PCI-e connecter from the PSU and I d/l the latest drivers from ATI 's website.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 4:04:52 PM

Try to boot with only one stick of RAM, try each one and see which stick that gave you BSOD...

have another computer with high PSU? you can try your card there to make sure whether the card is defective or not...
m
l
!