Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
MY system:
CPU: Intel core i7 920 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3
RAM: Crucial ballistix 6GB 1600Mhz
PSU: 580W X-power GTX light
GPU: Asus GeForce EN9600GT 512MB DDR3

I have a problem where the system dos not power up unless i disconnect and reconnect the power lead. when the system does power up... it powers up for about 1 second then switches off and powers up again. I do not get any display and the HDD LED shows the system to be busy.

The system as working fine up till now. I will confess to have been proding my fingers around inside while the PC was on and it restarted to give this problem.

I have tried reseting the CMOS and test the seperate RAM modules with no success, are there any ideas to what the problem may be or what can be done?

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I'm inclined to think it's your power supply. I've never heard of this manufacturer, and a quick google search reveals 80+ certification. How much was it? You should replace it with this:

Antec Earthwatts 650 - $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

You don't need 650 watts, but it's a pretty good price compared to how much a 500 or 550 watt power supply like this might cost:

Corsair 550 VX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=corsair%20550

Also, the 650 watt will give you plenty of room to upgrade to a more modern graphics card should you decide to in the future.

EDIT: Also, were you saying that you were prodding around in the computer when it first started to restart? As in, you had your hands in it and then it restarted? This could just be coincidence. what were you adjusting?

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
well the power supply was working fine up till now, it was quite a cheap one as i did not think it mattered all that much.

I was looking at whether i would have enough space to install a coolmaster V10, and i may have had a ruler in there. A bit stupid now i think about it, but this is when the computer failed.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
You don't want to cheap out on a power supply. Yours has a lot of the protection circuits built in, but the ones in my post above are higher quality units. Your PSU is dead or dying. You didn't feel a shock or anything when you were measuring the space, did you? You didn't touch anything on the motherboard, right? I don't think you damaged it by doing what you did.

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
well thanks i think i might fork out for a more reliable one, im jus hoping that its not the motherboard thats died. i dont have another PSU to test at the moment so i wont kno until i get my hands on one. I will post back after testing both the board and PSU.

kokokh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
ok so ive tested the PSU now and it doesn't seem like thts the problem. so that leaves either the motherboard or PSU. i don't have anther board or processor to test with, but are there any other ways to find out which one is bad?

I still have wrranty with ebuyer, so just need to know which part to sed back.