Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck or Dying Parts ?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2010 5:47:53 PM

Just recently my PCs been acting a bit slow such as for example when playing Mass Effect 2 and recording with Fraps. Some times there will be a stutter during recording that makes the sound repeat really fast and my frames to do the same and I can't figure out why its doing this.

This PCs more then capable of playing the game at max settings etc so I'm wondering if one of my parts in my PC are starting to fail ?

My main concern is the PSU its about 5 almost 6 years old now, but other then that I'm wondering if 4Gigs of DDR2 800MHz isn't enough while Fraps is running ? An if its not any of those I'm ganna point to my CPU bottle-necking my system in some way. :o 

PC Spec's

AMD 64 X2 5400+ @ 2.8GHz
4Gigs of Kingston DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel
Seagate 750G HDD SATA (7200.12)
2 WD 80G HDDs 1 E-IDE 1 SATA "Backups"
MSI 790XT G45 motherboard (Just bought it to replace a MSI K9A2GM V3)
GigaByte HD4890OC 1G GDDR5
Antec True Power II 550Watt PSU
Aspire X-pider Full Tower Case

More about : bottleneck dying parts

August 17, 2010 5:59:10 PM

When the sound stutters and repeats really fast does it eventually recover or does the system lock up and require a reboot? You can use Memtest to check to see if your memory is still good, use prime 95 and furmark to make sure you arent over heating and thats whats causing the stuttering.
m
l
August 17, 2010 6:18:18 PM

hunter315 said:
When the sound stutters and repeats really fast does it eventually recover or does the system lock up and require a reboot? You can use Memtest to check to see if your memory is still good, use prime 95 and furmark to make sure you arent over heating and thats whats causing the stuttering.

It recovers fast after the stuttering and I know my CPU/GPU aren't over heating as the CPU hits about 120-125F **Not hot for a stock cooler :D ** during play and the 4890 hits about the same temps so its not a heat issue. An I have used Furmark before an had no issues but never used Prime95. :o 
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2010 6:21:21 PM

Quote:
You cpu is a bottleneck to that video card, but nothing to cry over. Tom's did a test that showed the 4770 bottlenecked by the X2 7850BE at 2.8ghz.

When is the last time you did a disk cleanup and defrag? When is the last time you re-installled a fresh copy of windows?

I did a disk cleanup about 3 days ago and I defrag everyday (its on a schedule), and the last time I reformatted and installed my os was about 5-6 months ago.

Ooh and my OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit forgot to mention that in my 1st post. :p 
m
l
August 17, 2010 10:02:48 PM

I just ran memtest86+ for a few hours and it came up with no errors, so at least I know my ram isn't the issue though I kinda figured that it wasn't. So now my guess would be either I need more ram or my CPU or PSUs having issues. I know Prime95 stress tests your CPU but what about my PSU ? Any suggestions on how to test either of those better ?
m
l
August 18, 2010 7:19:15 AM

What are the temps in your system? Overheating can cause stuttering and hang-ups.
m
l
August 18, 2010 8:06:06 AM

You have plenty of memory and there is nothing wrong with your CPU or PSU, your cpu is already a bottleneck to your system in terms of performance, recording with fraps can be a cpu heavy task on top of playing the game. That is the cause of your lag, not failing components.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:53:11 PM

Dirtman73 said:
What are the temps in your system? Overheating can cause stuttering and hang-ups.

My temps never go over 125F-135F at max load thats both on my CPU and GPU, that's while I'm playing Crysis in ME2 temps don't get over 120F.

loneninja said:
You have plenty of memory and there is nothing wrong with your CPU or PSU, your cpu is already a bottleneck to your system in terms of performance, recording with fraps can be a cpu heavy task on top of playing the game. That is the cause of your lag, not failing components.

This system has recorded ME2 with Fraps just fine in the past its just lately these issues have poped up. So I know my CPU can handle the load just that something now is conflicting in one way or another or failing. Like the PSU not getting enough power to the GPU or CPU but if that was the case wouldn't I have random restarts, crashes etc etc ?

m
l
August 24, 2010 9:26:18 PM

Well after some testing and more installing/reinstalling it really came down to reinstalling ME2 and adjusting the Gamersettings.ini something I had in there was making it really to much for the system to handle all at once(CPU Load), but I'm also wondering if its the level I was trying to use fraps on (Recruiting Tali) that map seems to have alot of Bloom/HDR lighting on it along with shadows etc etc so I'll also consider that for part of the stuttering during the recordings.

Trying to record on that map and get a GOOD recording took forever but I finally got one with almost no stuttering (you'd have to be looking >.>) so with that said I just need to fine tune the settings an see if I can keep my visual quality but at the same time increase FPS during recordings (I know sounds impossible! o_O lolz) but you never know till you try.

I also changed out my CL6 ram with some CL5 ram and that actually helped quite a bit when I was recording.

An here's the video I took an edited now that its not stuttering anymore :D  enjoy for those interested.
Mass Effect 2

m
l
!